Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Default Third party repo differences (was: Repositories in CentOS 5.8)

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Probably so, and I know how to do that, but I wasn't illustrating a
>> specific workaround, just illustrating the problem.
>
> Yes, you are right to bring it up, but I don't think it should scare
> people off. You just have to pay attention.
>

>> The bottom line: out of the about 6,000 packages in EPEL, there are 7%
>> or so that have the same name but a different version in RPMforge; out
>> of the about 4,400 (4,381 listed by yum repolist) package in RPMforge,
>> there are 9.5% or so that have the same name but a different version in
>> EPEL. *If anything you are running relies on any of those 417 packages,
>> you have a potential for problems.
>>
>> So, it's not rare.
>
> But many, probably most of those cases are revs with forward/backward
> compatibility. It's hard to generalize about that, though. Even in
> the scalpel case you mentioned the up-rev lib was likely compatible
> but just specified as requiring an exact version in the spec file.
> And on the other side there are things like viewvc that are at the
> same rev in epel and rpmforge but have slightly different and
> incompatible configurations (and there is a reason I know that...).

Yup - that drives me crazy, when someone's put a dependency on an *exact*
rev of a library, rather than >=.

And Lamar, that was a serious bit of research. Thanks for the job.

mark

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM
David Hrbáč

Dne 25.5.2012 02:00, Lamar Owen napsal(a):
> At the moment both EPEL and RPMforge are on a 2.6.x amavisd-new; 2.7 makes some changes in the AM.PDP protocol that can break, for instance, amavisd-milter (distinct from the much less useful amavis-milter). Neither repo has amavisd-milter, so that compatibility issue may not show up except to those who actually use amavisd-milter instead of the much less useful amavis-milter.

Lamar,
Repoforge/RPMforge does provide amavisd-new-milter package...
DH

Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:

> To my knowledge no repos have the amavisd-milter package available; I've built my own for six years or so. *I've used both, and the amavisd-new-milter (/usr/sbin/amavis-milter) is not nearly as useful as this amavisd-milter. *In fact, for at least the last three years I've not been able to get the amavis-milter that comes with amavisd-new to work at all, whereas amavisd-milter (the Petr Rehor version at sourceforge) works very well at version 1.5.0.

Have you looked at MimeDefang's ability to run all of your scanners
out of one milter? I've only used clamav, but it should do whatever
you want with one unpacking of attachments and one hook into sendmail
(and I think it works with postfix now too).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:47:04 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Have you looked at MimeDefang's ability to run all of your scanners
>> out of one milter?
>
> Yes.
>
> Doing the same thing with amavisd-new on the few sendmail installs I still have running; amavisd-new runs clam (or, at one site, the sophos scanner) and spamassassin, and amavisd-milter does everything needed with one milter. *Using essentially the same setup with a couple of postfix sites, but no milter in that case.

Is it as efficient as the MimeDefang architecture? Aside from just
unpacking the attachments once, MimeDefang runs a small binary as a
multiplexor that connects to all sendmail milter hooks and passes the
requests to the perl daemon as they happen. That means you can have
a much smaller number of perl processes (that run spamassassin
in-process) than sendmail children, and fast operations done by
sendmail itself or a milter don't wait for slow operations tying up
memory. I'm not sure there is even any equivalent way to do this
without milters. See pg. 31 of
http://www.mimedefang.org/static/mimedefang-lisa04.pdf

Plus, you can add custom behavior to sendmail with a small snippet of perl.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
David Hrbáč

Dne 26.5.2012 18:33, Lamar Owen napsal(a):

> The amavisd-new-milter package does exist for CentOS 5.8; I cannot, however, find an amavisd-new-milter package for CentOS 6 in either rpmforge or rpmforge-extras.
Right,
there's no el6 build because of spec file:
10 %{?el6:%define _without_milter 1}
11 %{?el5:%define _without_milter 0}
12 %{?el4:%define _without_milter 0}

I'm not sure why we have decided not to build el6.

> Which is just as well, since this amavisd-new-milter is different from amavisd-milter, which is currently at version 1.5.0, the version that is compatible with amavisd-new 2.7.0 and up. It's somewhat unfortunate to have two very different things packaged with very similar names; the amavis-milter that comes with amavisd-new is much less useful than the separate amavisd-milter ( http://amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net/ ; the one packaged with amavisd-new is the one with a README at http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.milter.txt that points to the Petr Rehor rewrite at amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net).
I did not know about this. Are you willing to share your amavis-milter
spec file so we can include it in Repoforge?
Regards,
DH