Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
david

Default Secure VNC access from iPad

Dear Gurus

If any of you have been successful in using an iPad as a VNC client
with SSH tunnelling, I'd love to know how it's done. I have tried
using the iSSH application, but without success.

I know that the server is accessible from a Windows client (using
TigerVNC), via an SSH tunnel, so the server is properly configured.

If you have a working example, please let me know what magic sauce you used.

Thanks

David

Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Eero Volotinen

Hi,

How about using commercial vnc enterprise with aes encryption:

http://www.realvnc.com/products/ios/

it requires vnc commercial, but it works ..

--
Eero

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Peter Brady

On 23/05/12 2:32 PM, david wrote:
> If any of you have been successful in using an iPad as a VNC client
> with SSH tunnelling, I'd love to know how it's done. I have tried
> using the iSSH application, but without success.
>
> I know that the server is accessible from a Windows client (using
> TigerVNC), via an SSH tunnel, so the server is properly configured.
>
> If you have a working example, please let me know what magic sauce you used.

I use iTeleport. The security settings inside it let me set up the ssh
tunnel and which port the VNC server is running. iTeleport seems to
work with Linux, MacOSX and Windoze VNC servers no problem. It even
lets me set up an ssh tunnel to a gateway machine and then port forward
to other machines behind the firewall.

The general procedure is:

1) create a new connection
2) set the name and port of the machine that is running VNC. NOTE: this
does not have to be the same as the SSH gateway.
3) In security go to encryption and select SSH. This is the machine
that is running SSH and as I said it can be a gateway machine or the VNC
itself.
4) Select the OS you are connecting to. I suspect that iTeleport has
different click settings depending on what you are connecting to.

You are now done.

Good luck,
-pete

--