Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
"Muhammad A. Fatahna"

Default CentOS in the world

Hi all,

Now, i still analyse about CentOS user, how to know the amount of
centos users around the world that can be get a result CentOS
percentage of all distributions.
thank you very much
--
http://mafatahna.web.id
@mafatahna

Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Digimer

On 05/22/2012 07:16 PM, Muhammad A. Fatahna wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now, i still analyse about CentOS user, how to know the amount of
> centos users around the world that can be get a result CentOS
> percentage of all distributions.
> thank you very much

There is no central recording of who uses what distributions. For this
reason, accurate numbers are impossible to get. Some projects try to
track by asking people to volunteer their usage info, but these are
hardly scientific and are likely highly inaccurate.

The best you can say is that CentOS is extremely popular and is one of
the most commonly used distribution in the server world. Whether it is
more or less popular than Debian, Ubuntu LTS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
proper... No one can really say.

Cheers

--
Digimer

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 05/22/2012 06:57 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 07:16 PM, Muhammad A. Fatahna wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now, i still analyse about CentOS user, how to know the amount of
>> centos users around the world that can be get a result CentOS
>> percentage of all distributions.
>> thank you very much
> There is no central recording of who uses what distributions. For this
> reason, accurate numbers are impossible to get. Some projects try to
> track by asking people to volunteer their usage info, but these are
> hardly scientific and are likely highly inaccurate.
>
> The best you can say is that CentOS is extremely popular and is one of
> the most commonly used distribution in the server world. Whether it is
> more or less popular than Debian, Ubuntu LTS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> proper... No one can really say.

Well, these guys measure specifically webserver usage on the top websites:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux

We were #1, now we are #2 behind Debian.

BUT ... this does not show cpanel and plesk installs as they us custom
httpd that does not identify them as CentOS.

It is also web servers and does not include other things in the enterprise.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Digimer

On 05/22/2012 08:10 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 06:57 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> On 05/22/2012 07:16 PM, Muhammad A. Fatahna wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Now, i still analyse about CentOS user, how to know the amount of
>>> centos users around the world that can be get a result CentOS
>>> percentage of all distributions.
>>> thank you very much
>> There is no central recording of who uses what distributions. For this
>> reason, accurate numbers are impossible to get. Some projects try to
>> track by asking people to volunteer their usage info, but these are
>> hardly scientific and are likely highly inaccurate.
>>
>> The best you can say is that CentOS is extremely popular and is one of
>> the most commonly used distribution in the server world. Whether it is
>> more or less popular than Debian, Ubuntu LTS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> proper... No one can really say.
>
> Well, these guys measure specifically webserver usage on the top websites:
>
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
>
> We were #1, now we are #2 behind Debian.
>
> BUT ... this does not show cpanel and plesk installs as they us custom
> httpd that does not identify them as CentOS.
>
> It is also web servers and does not include other things in the enterprise.

This also does not count BGP routers, appliances, firewalls, many mail
servers, etc. It's a sample of web-facing web servers only.

I know in the shop I used to work at, only a fraction of our CentOS
servers were facing the web at all, and only a couple of those ran apache.

--
Digimer

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM
"Muhammad A. Fatahna"

for all,

thanks you very much about your information
--
http://mafatahna.web.id
@mafatahna