Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
James Pifer

Default Tomcat5 with Oracle/Sun jdk on CentOS 5.8

I know this question could be asked on tomcat or possibly other mailing
lists, but I'm hoping I can get some help here instead of joining yet
another list.

I'm running tomcat5 on CentOS 5.8. I'm trying to setup Oracle/Sun java
rather than icedtea. I've installed the latest jdk 1.7 and setup
alternatives on centos for java and javac:

# java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

I've also set /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf to point JAVA_HOME to this jdk.

When I try to start tomcat5 I get:

Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jdbc-stdext Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jndi Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jaas Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm
[ OK ]
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/bin/dtomcat5: line 343: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java: No such file or directory
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/bin/dtomcat5: line 321: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java: No such file or directory

I've been searching google all morning and haven't found a solution. I'd
be willing to try jdk 1.5 or 1.6 if that is the fix, but I'm doubting
that's the fix.

I'm also not sure where tomcat5 set JRE_HOME. Been searching and can't
find it.

Anyone here know how to resolve this?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Lars Hecking

> I'm also not sure where tomcat5 set JRE_HOME. Been searching and can't
> find it.

Maybe you should look for JAVA_HOME ...

/etc/init.d/tomcat5
/etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf
/etc/sysconfig/tomcat5

That's all I can say - while I got tomcat4 running on RHEL3, and tomcat6
on CentOS6, I have a bit of a gap when it comes to CentOS5 and tomcat5,
although the differences between 5 and 6 are much less than between 4 and 5.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Paul Heinlein

I know this question could be asked on tomcat or possibly other
mailing lists, but I'm hoping I can get some help here instead of
joining yet another list.

I'm running tomcat5 on CentOS 5.8. I'm trying to setup Oracle/Sun
java rather than icedtea. I've installed the latest jdk 1.7 and
setup alternatives on centos for java and javac:

# java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

I've also set /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf to point JAVA_HOME to this jdk.

When I try to start tomcat5 I get:

Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jdbc-stdext Java extension for this JVM

If you want to run Tomcat under Oracle's JVM, then you can't use the
CentOS Tomcat; you'll need to download it directly from Apache.

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

Note that Tomcat 5 reaches EOL later this year.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@madboa.com

Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
James Pifer

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 16:20 +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:
> > I'm also not sure where tomcat5 set JRE_HOME. Been searching and can't
> > find it.
>
> Maybe you should look for JAVA_HOME ...
>
> /etc/init.d/tomcat5
> /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf
> /etc/sysconfig/tomcat5
>
> That's all I can say - while I got tomcat4 running on RHEL3, and tomcat6
> on CentOS6, I have a bit of a gap when it comes to CentOS5 and tomcat5,
> although the differences between 5 and 6 are much less than between 4 and 5.

Lars,

/etc/sysconfig/tomcat5 was it.

Thank you,
James