FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Earl Ramirez
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On 21 May 2012 10:06, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Earl Ramirez wrote:
> > Good Day,
> >
> > I am not 100% certain if here is the right place to bring this up,
> however
> > if this is the wrong place for this please redirect me to right place.
> >
> > A few weeks ago I was trying to install KVM on my laptop, I bought a new
> > laptop and immediately after I install the nVidia drivers I receive the
> > following error "libfcoe_device_notification: NETDEV_UNREGISTER lo"
> >
> > I spent several hours googling the error and there are several issues,
> > however none of them are related to my situation.
> >
> > I am running CentOS 6.2
> <snip>
> You say that you deleted xorg.conf, and could then boot into runlevel 5
> using the default drivers. If you do an lsmod, does it show nouveau?
>
> When I do lsmod I see nvidia
i2c_core 31276 7
videodev,i2c_i801,nvidia,i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,i 2c_algo_bit
video 21032 1 i915
output 2505 1 video



> Second question: does the version of kmod-nvidia support your graphics
> card?
>

This is interesting now that you mention it, the sticker on the laptops
says "nvidia GEFORCE GT 635M 2GB" and when I run lspci I see the following.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT
555M] (rev a1).

I verified that nvidia 635M is supported on the nvidia site.
Version:295.53 CertifiedRelease Date:2012.05.16Operating System:Linux
Language:English (U.S.)File Size:33.1 MB

[image: Download]<http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86/295.53/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.53.run&lang=us&type=GeForce>

Release Highlights
Supported products
Additional information

- Added support for the following GPUs:
GeForce GTX 670
GeForce 605
GeForce GT 610
GeForce GT 630
GeForce GT 640
GeForce GT 645
- Fixed a bug affecting some G-Sync configurations which could cause
active stereo content to be inverted on some display devices.

I checked all the supported drivers and I also see the version from the
output from lspci which is supported as well
*GeForce 600 series:*
GTX 690, GTX 680, GTX 670, GT 645, GT 640, GT 630, GT 620, GT 610, 605

*GeForce 600M series:*
GT 635M, GT 630M, G610M

*GeForce 500 series:*
GTX 590, GTX 580, GTX 570, GTX 560 Ti, GTX 560, GTX 550 Ti, GT 545, GT 530,
GT 520, 510

*GeForce 500M series:*
GTX 580M, GTX 570M, GTX 560M, GT 555M, GT 550M, GT 540M, GT 525M, GT 520MX,
GT 520M

*GeForce 400 series:*
GTX 480, GTX 470, GTX 465, GTX 460 SE v2, GTX 460 SE, GTX 460, GTS 450, GT
440, GT 430, GT 420, 405


> Oh, and did you yum install it, so that you got nvidia-x11-drv?
>
> I installed it using yum.


> mark, who just noticed that he's got that, *and*
> nvidia-x11-drv-32bit,
> on his x86_64 system for some reason....
>

The correct version is x86_64
[wildfire@wildfire ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
nvidia-x11-drv-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
[wildfire@wildfire ~]$

I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
however I am see intel which is strange.

>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Earl Ramirez
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On 21 May 2012 11:34, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Earl Ramirez wrote:
> > On 21 May 2012 10:06, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> >> Earl Ramirez wrote:
> <snip>
> >> > A few weeks ago I was trying to install KVM on my laptop, I bought a
> >> > new laptop and immediately after I install the nVidia drivers I
> receive
> >> > the following error "libfcoe_device_notification: NETDEV_UNREGISTER
> lo"
> >> >
> >> > I spent several hours googling the error and there are several issues,
> >> > however none of them are related to my situation.
> >> >
> >> > I am running CentOS 6.2
> >> <snip>
> >> You say that you deleted xorg.conf, and could then boot into runlevel 5
> >> using the default drivers. If you do an lsmod, does it show nouveau?
> >>
> >> When I do lsmod I see nvidia
> <snip>
> >> Second question: does the version of kmod-nvidia support your graphics
> >> card?
> >
> > This is interesting now that you mention it, the sticker on the laptops
> > says "nvidia GEFORCE GT 635M 2GB" and when I run lspci I see the
> > following.
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT
> > 555M] (rev a1).
> >
> > I verified that nvidia 635M is supported on the nvidia site.
> > Version:295.53 CertifiedRelease Date:2012.05.16Operating System:Linux
> <snip>
> >
> >> Oh, and did you yum install it, so that you got nvidia-x11-drv?
> >>
> >> I installed it using yum.
>
> But what I was asking was whether this version of kmod-nvidia uses the
> nvidia-released support for that card. You said you bought a new laptop
> that this is on - is that brand new out of the box, or new-to-you, used?
>

Yes the version of kmod-nvidia supports it and it's new out of the box

> >
> > The correct version is x86_64
> > [wildfire@wildfire ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
> > nvidia-x11-drv-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
> > kmod-nvidia-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
> > [wildfire@wildfire ~]$
> >
> > I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
> > login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
> > however I am see intel which is strange.
>
> *That* is extremely strange. Could there be a second, Intel, video?
>

Don't see any thing that indicates that there is a second intel video only
thing that is intel is the processor and the chipset

This the the laptop that was bought
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n55slds71-preorder-p-3556.html

>
> mark
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On 21/05/12 17:08, Earl Ramirez wrote:
> On 21 May 2012 11:34,<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Earl Ramirez wrote:
>>> I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
>>> login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
>>> however I am see intel which is strange.
>>
>> *That* is extremely strange. Could there be a second, Intel, video?
>>
>
> Don't see any thing that indicates that there is a second intel video only
> thing that is intel is the processor and the chipset
>
> This the the laptop that was bought
> http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n55slds71-preorder-p-3556.html
>

That advert says the laptop has Optimus technology which is Nvidia speak
for it also having integrated graphics, Intel in this case I would assume.

To the best of my knowledge Nvidia do not currently support Optimus on
Linux. Is is possible to disable the Intel onboard graphics? I don't
have any first hand experience of these products.

You should probably ask on the nvidia linux forums if you require more
detailed help, or start by googling "nvidia optimus linux" and see what
comes up.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Earl Ramirez
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On 21 May 2012 14:46, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21/05/12 17:08, Earl Ramirez wrote:
> > On 21 May 2012 11:34,<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Earl Ramirez wrote:
> >>> I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
> >>> login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
> >>> however I am see intel which is strange.
> >>
> >> *That* is extremely strange. Could there be a second, Intel, video?
> >>
> >
> > Don't see any thing that indicates that there is a second intel video
> only
> > thing that is intel is the processor and the chipset
> >
> > This the the laptop that was bought
> > http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n55slds71-preorder-p-3556.html
> >
>
> That advert says the laptop has Optimus technology which is Nvidia speak
> for it also having integrated graphics, Intel in this case I would assume.
>
> You are correct, that explains why I am seing intel and Nvidia.

To the best of my knowledge Nvidia do not currently support Optimus on
> Linux. Is is possible to disable the Intel onboard graphics? I don't
> have any first hand experience of these products.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no option in the BIOS to disable intel graphic
card. In future I must do more researsh before I make such purchase.

You should probably ask on the nvidia linux forums if you require more
> detailed help, or start by googling "nvidia optimus linux" and see what
> comes up.
>
> Thanks, I believe that I am heading in the right direction, Any graphic
> card will work for now as I only bought the laptop to play with KVM. I keep
> you guys posted if I get it working on CentOS 6.
>



> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Akemi Yagi
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Earl Ramirez <earlaramirez@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 May 2012 14:46, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge Nvidia do not currently support Optimus on
>> Linux.

>> Thanks, I believe that I am heading in the right direction, Any graphic
>> card will work for now as I only bought the laptop to play with KVM. I keep
>> you guys posted if I get it working on CentOS 6.

Regarding the lack of Optimus support for the Nvidia Linux driver, you
may want to try 'bumblebee' [1] available from ELRepo:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/bumblebee

bumblebee and the required packages are currently in the testing
repository. With enough feedback, they can be promoted to the main
repository.

Akemi

[1] http://bumblebee-project.org/
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Earl Ramirez
 
Default Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

On 24 May 2012 12:00, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Earl Ramirez <earlaramirez@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 21 May 2012 14:46, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > To the best of my knowledge Nvidia do not currently support Optimus on
> >> Linux.
>
> >> Thanks, I believe that I am heading in the right direction, Any graphic
> >> card will work for now as I only bought the laptop to play with KVM. I
> keep
> >> you guys posted if I get it working on CentOS 6.
>
> Regarding the lack of Optimus support for the Nvidia Linux driver, you
> may want to try 'bumblebee' [1] available from ELRepo:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/bumblebee
>

> bumblebee and the required packages are currently in the testing
> repository. With enough feedback, they can be promoted to the main
> repository.
>
> Akemi
>
> [1] http://bumblebee-project.org/
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Thanks Akemi,

I have installed Fedora and Ubuntu on a USB drive and I was able to get
bumblebee to work, however I was not so successful when I tried it on
CentOS 6.2. I used the packages from ELRepo and they were installed
successfully but it did no work from the get go. Modify the config file and
I will still boot up with the intel driver.

--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org