Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

Default Z-Stream?

Hi,
I just learned that there exists a "z-stream" channel upstream that
apparently carries some important bugfixes. Does anyone know what the
policies are for this channel and how this relates to centos releases?

Regards,
Dennis

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Digimer

On 05/18/2012 05:32 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> I just learned that there exists a "z-stream" channel upstream that
> apparently carries some important bugfixes. Does anyone know what the
> policies are for this channel and how this relates to centos releases?
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

Those are the updates that come out between y-stream (6.0, 6.1, 6.2...).
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've not seen anything special
about RHEL's "z-stream" definition other than this.

--
Digimer

Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 05/18/2012 04:32 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> I just learned that there exists a "z-stream" channel upstream that
> apparently carries some important bugfixes. Does anyone know what the
> policies are for this channel and how this relates to centos releases?
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

The Z-Stream channels contain nothing important ... in fact they are
not even released publicly.

Z-Stream is security updates that you can apply to that stream and stay
on an older point release. So, they would be the samba updates for the
5.6.z channel and be able to stay on 5.6 instead of moving to 5.7/5.8.

However, like I said before, it is moot point because Red hat does not
release the Z-Stream Source code publicly ... just like they do not
release the EUS code publicly.

If you want those kinds of services, you will need to get them from Red
Hat on as a paid service.

BUT, and I want to make sure everyone understands this, the Z-Stream
items are not things that you do not get in the main (regular) tree ...
they are just some security updates that are already rolled into the
main tree that are also back ported an older, paid for, stabilized tree.

Here is a link to read about the Z-Stream offerings:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/#vii

Again, these z-streams are not allowed to be rebuilt and not offered to
the public, but they are also not anything that is required to be up to
date security wise. They are just a "slower moving" subscription
service offered as an add on service with additional cost to RHEL
customers by Red Hat. If you need what this service offers (a slower
update cycle for a specific point release version) that still has
updates backported, then it might be worth the RHEL subscription and the
added zstream subscription ... but since it is not released publicly, it
is not a service CentOS can offer.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/20/2012 05:45 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> The Z-Stream channels contain nothing important ... in fact they are
> not even released publicly.

Actually, kernels for z-stream are released publicly. And some times the
odd update comes through, eg Samba for EL4

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax