-   -   mysql secure installation and multi mysqld (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/667701-mysql-secure-installation-multi-mysqld.html)

Bob Hoffman 05-17-2012 03:44 AM

mysql secure installation and multi mysqld

If you adjust the my.cnf file to make separate instances of mysql.....

How would you go through the mysql secure installation? Is is possible
or must it all be done manually
for each one?

is it possible to make each one of those instances a replicate/slave of
a different master
(thus a backup mysql server in a way?)

working on this now, but having issues getting it to work.
(centos 6)

Leon Jacobs 05-17-2012 09:30 AM

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> is it possible to make each one of those instances a replicate/slave of
> a different master
> (thus a backup mysql server in a way?)

I just recently finished playing with this. I ended up brining up a
dedicated VM for this "backup mysql server". I then created 2 new init
scripts (based off the mysqld one) and modified both to point to their
respective my.cnf's (with auto startup via chkconfig etc etc). Both
have separate data directories, run off 2 separate ports (and socket
files) - which are fire walled anyways as I have no requirement for
this to be open on the slaves and replicate 2 separate masters :)

L.

--
Sent using electronic mail

Bob Hoffman 05-17-2012 02:54 PM

On 5/17/2012 5:30 AM, Leon Jacobs wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Bob Hoffman<bob@bobhoffman.com> wrote:
>> is it possible to make each one of those instances a replicate/slave of
>> a different master
>> (thus a backup mysql server in a way?)
> I just recently finished playing with this. I ended up brining up a
> dedicated VM for this "backup mysql server". I then created 2 new init
> scripts (based off the mysqld one) and modified both to point to their
> respective my.cnf's (with auto startup via chkconfig etc etc). Both
> have separate data directories, run off 2 separate ports (and socket
> files) - which are fire walled anyways as I have no requirement for
> this to be open on the slaves and replicate 2 separate masters :)
>
> L.

Okay, so it looks doable.
My plan is to add the instances inside of the my.cnf and then use
mysqld_multi to run them as slaves
to separate website masters...