-   -   Postfix will not start due to permission errors on CentOS 6.2 x86 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/667571-postfix-will-not-start-due-permission-errors-centos-6-2-x86.html)

Steve Thompson 05-16-2012 06:53 PM

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Yes, you overwrote /etc/passwd and who knows what else, so it is no wonder
that it is completely broken. Start again.

Steve

Gilbert Sebenste 05-16-2012 07:57 PM

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Steve Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2012, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
>
>> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?
>
> Yes, you overwrote /etc/passwd and who knows what else, so it is no wonder
> that it is completely broken. Start again.
>
> Steve

No, it was the same reason I couldn't get Apache to work:

Selinux was enabled.

I disabled Selinux. Now, both work fine.

"John R. Dennison" 05-16-2012 08:03 PM

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 02:57:03PM -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> No, it was the same reason I couldn't get Apache to work:
>
> Selinux was enabled.
>
> I disabled Selinux. Now, both work fine.

Um, both work out of the box with selinux set to enforcing. There are
other issues at play.

Disabling selinux is never a fix.

John
--
If the world were a village of 100 people ....

6 people (all in the USA) would own 59% of all the village's wealth,
74 people would share another 39%, and
20 people would share the remaining 2%.

-- David Copeland, in Value Earth

Gilbert Sebenste 05-16-2012 08:06 PM

On Wed, 16 May 2012, John R. Dennison wrote:

> Um, both work out of the box with selinux set to enforcing. There are
> other issues at play.
>
> Disabling selinux is never a fix.

What other issues should I look for? I used apache out of the box with the
default config, changed it to my server name...and it denied access.
Turned off Selinux, bingo. No different than any other Apache server out
there with default configs.

William Hooper 05-16-2012 08:24 PM

Postfix will not start due to permission errors on CentOS 6.2 x86

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Gilbert Sebenste
<sebenste@weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I cannot get the Postfix service to start on my pristine copy of CentOS
> 6.2 (installed straight from a DVD, and 6.2 directly, not 6.0 with
> upgrades...not thatit should matter).
>
> Anyway, I copied over /var/spool/mail to this system by using tar,
> as well as /etc/services and /etc/passwd, etc. Now, it doesn't want to
> start. I get permission errors like:

Did you relabel after copying? I believe you want to look at
restorecon (or just relabel the whole filesystem).

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SELinux

--
William Hooper

Gilbert Sebenste 05-16-2012 08:28 PM

On Wed, 16 May 2012, William Hooper wrote:

> Did you relabel after copying? I believe you want to look at
> restorecon (or just relabel the whole filesystem).

No, I didn't. And that's where the problem lies. :-) Bingo.
Thanks!

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste 05-16-2012 08:46 PM

Postfix will not start due to permission errors on CentOS 6.2 x86

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2012, John R. Dennison wrote:
>
>> Um, both work out of the box with selinux set to enforcing. There are
>> other issues at play.
>>
>> Disabling selinux is never a fix.

Found the issue. /var/spool/mail permission wasn't set correctly.
That fixed it.

Scott Silva 05-17-2012 08:00 PM

Postfix will not start due to permission errors on CentOS 6.2 x86

on 5/16/2012 1:03 PM John R. Dennison spake the following:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 02:57:03PM -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
>>
>> No, it was the same reason I couldn't get Apache to work:
>>
>> Selinux was enabled.
>>
>> I disabled Selinux. Now, both work fine.
>
> Um, both work out of the box with selinux set to enforcing. There are
> other issues at play.
>
> Disabling selinux is never a fix.

Selinux tanked because of the mass file copies he did... The backup

files didn't have the extended attributes...