Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

Default Postfix will not start due to permission errors on CentOS 6.2 x86

Hello everyone,

I cannot get the Postfix service to start on my pristine copy of CentOS
6.2 (installed straight from a DVD, and 6.2 directly, not 6.0 with
upgrades...not thatit should matter).

Anyway, I copied over /var/spool/mail to this system by using tar,
as well as /etc/services and /etc/passwd, etc. Now, it doesn't want to
start. I get permission errors like:

postfix/master: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/pickup pid 2006 exit 1
postfix/master:warning /usr/libexec/postfix/pickup: bad command startup --
throttling
postfix/pickup: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory maildrop: permission
denied

warning: the postfix sendmail command has set-uid root file permissions
warning: or the command is run from a set-uid root process
warning: the Postfix sendmail command must be installed without
set-uid root file permissions

Now, I Googled these errors, and didn't see any good specific help for
CentOS. So, I did a yum erase postfix, which also erased dependencies.
After I did that, I erased the /etc/postfix directory. I then reinstalled
postfix with all the dependencies...and got the same errors.

Then I googled the CentOS mailing list for help...nothing that applied to
me turned up that I saw.

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Gilbert