Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Installation of CentOS 6 on KVM - Hangs

Greetings-

I'm attempting to install CentOS-6 x86_64 to a virtual machine running via KVM on a Proxmox 1.9 system. The specs are 4x CPUs, 4GB RAM, and 160GB HDD. Installation proceeds fine using either minimal or netinstall CDs until installation of the selinux or qla2xx-firmware RPMs. At this point, the installation hangs, and never completes. I'm unable to see what is going on 'under the hood' on another TTY as the console does not appear to be accepting my CTL-ALT-Fx commands either.

I have also tried installing using the full bin DVD1, but the initial installation errors out immediately noting the yum package cannot be read from source disk/etc. And yes, I have checked the MD5s on all downloaded ISOs.

I can readily duplicate this. Any thoughts or pointers on the cause and/or solution?

Thanks!

--Tim

Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Tim Nelson

> I'm attempting to install CentOS-6 x86_64 to a virtual machine
> running via KVM on a Proxmox 1.9 system. The specs are 4x CPUs, 4GB
> RAM, and 160GB HDD. Installation proceeds fine using either minimal
> or netinstall CDs until installation of the selinux or

More specifically, it's hanging on the selinux-policy-targeted RPM. Not sure if this makes a difference, but I thought it worthy of note.

--Tim

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Lars Hecking

Daniel J Walsh writes:
> On 05/16/2012 12:29 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:

Absolutely. I found that it will not work well or at all with less than
512MB of RAM. If less is wanted, it can be reduced afterwards, but that's
the minimum needed for installation.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Tim Nelson

> > I'm attempting to install CentOS-6 x86_64 to a virtual machine
> > running via KVM on a Proxmox 1.9 system. The specs are 4x CPUs, 4GB
> > RAM, and 160GB HDD. Installation proceeds fine using either minimal
> > or netinstall CDs until installation of the selinux or
>
> More specifically, it's hanging on the selinux-policy-targeted RPM.
> Not sure if this makes a difference, but I thought it worthy of
> note.

Of interesting note, it now no longer hangs on selinux-policy-targeted, but every time now on qla2xxx-firmware which is the last package. I've let it sit overnight, same results.

Even though I'd already verified MD5 of the ISO, I redownloaded from a different mirror, same results. I've tried disabling ACPI on the VM, giving less RAM, more RAM, use smaller HDD, larger HDD, more CPU cores, less CPU cores, etc. No change.

Surely *someone* has installed CentOS 6 in a KVM VM and gotten it to work?

--Tim

Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Dean Jones

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Tim Nelson <tnelson@rockbochs.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yes I have quite a few CentOS 6 installs in KVM and have not
experienced any of the issues you have mentioned.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Paul Heinlein

Surely *someone* has installed CentOS 6 in a KVM VM and gotten it to
work?

Time after time after time. :-)

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@madboa.com

Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 05/18/2012 11:19 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:
> [...]

I see a delay after all packages are installed as well sometimes and I
think this has something to do with post-install jobs that have to be done.
How big is your boot partition?

Regards,
Dennis

Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Tim Nelson

> On 05/18/2012 11:19 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:

I have a 4GB swap partition, then the rest is dedicated to /, of course including /boot.

--Tim