-   -   OSS DSP sound card input on CentOS 6.2? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/667177-oss-dsp-sound-card-input-centos-6-2-a.html)

Gilbert Sebenste 05-15-2012 08:07 PM

OSS DSP sound card input on CentOS 6.2?

Hello everyone,

I'm streaming audio on CentOS 5.8 with no problem, even on a cheap sound
card using DarkIce as the input tool. For the input under CentOS5, I use:

device = /dev/dsp # OSS DSP soundcard device for the audio input

But under CentOS 6.2, there is no such device. I see /dev/snd, and it
has:

controlC0 hwC0D2 midiC0D1 pcmC0D0p pcmC0D2p pcmC1D0p seq
controlC1 hwC1D0 midiC0D2 pcmC0D1c pcmC0D3p pcmC1D1p timer
hwC0D0 midiC0D0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D2c pcmC1D0c pcmC1D2c

But nothing that looks OSS-ish to me. Any ideas as to what I need to
point at, and why? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gilbert

John Stanley 05-16-2012 12:19 PM

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 15:07 -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> But under CentOS 6.2, there is no such device. I see /dev/snd, and it
> has:

There is:..

> But nothing that looks OSS-ish to me.

cat /usr/bin/padsp or man padsp

That'll tell you what to do. All else fails you can stream the audio
with netcat.

John

Gilbert Sebenste 05-16-2012 01:41 PM

On Wed, 16 May 2012, John Stanley wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 15:07 -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
>

>> But under CentOS 6.2, there is no such device. I see /dev/snd, and it
>> has:
>
> There is:..
>
>> But nothing that looks OSS-ish to me.
>
> cat /usr/bin/padsp or man padsp
>
> That'll tell you what to do. All else fails you can stream the audio
> with netcat.

Thanks, John. I don't see padsp on my system, and "yum install padsp" does
nothing. Any hints as to what I must do to install it?

Thanks!

John Stanley 05-16-2012 02:52 PM

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 08:41 -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> Thanks, John. I don't see padsp on my system, and "yum install padsp" does
> nothing. Any hints as to what I must do to install it?

man yum? first for how to hints...that fails find friend google...

yum whatprovides */padsp

John

then..
$ padsp my_app