Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
"Shiv. NK"

Default VPN Traffic

Hi List Members,

i understand that perhaps i should not ask this question here. But you all
are technical. Therefor, has anyone ever monitor the VPN traffic using any
open source tools such as Zabbix/Nagios/Cacti? or any other

Thanks

Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Giles Coochey

i understand that perhaps i should not ask this question here. But you all
are technical. Therefor, has anyone ever monitor the VPN traffic using any
open source tools such as Zabbix/Nagios/Cacti? or any other

Thanks

Can you provide a somewhat less generic term for "the VPN traffic"?

If the VPN has an interface, then you can monitor this like you monitor
any other interface, yes with Nagios / Cacti and the like...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
"Shiv. NK"

> Can you provide a somewhat less generic term for "the VPN traffic"?
>
> If the VPN has an interface, then you can monitor this like you monitor
> any other interface, yes with Nagios / Cacti and the like...

Dear Glies,

Thanks for the information sent. VPN is between two Cisco routers. using
SNMP, it is possible to monitor the interface traffic for a snmp enabled
device through Zabbix/Cacti. But cannot differentiate between the the kind
of traffic.

Saying other way, there is internet traffic on the same interface part
from VPN consumption. I am searching for a specific tool if exists, that
can differentiate the kind of traffic and graph separately.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Giles Coochey

Can you provide a somewhat less generic term for "the VPN traffic"?

If the VPN has an interface, then you can monitor this like you monitor
any other interface, yes with Nagios / Cacti and the like...

Dear Glies,

Thanks for the information sent. VPN is between two Cisco routers. using
SNMP, it is possible to monitor the interface traffic for a snmp enabled
device through Zabbix/Cacti. But cannot differentiate between the the kind
of traffic.

Saying other way, there is internet traffic on the same interface part
from VPN consumption. I am searching for a specific tool if exists, that
can differentiate the kind of traffic and graph separately.

If you were using tunnel interfaces on Cisco routers then you can
monitor these with SNMP just like any interface. If you're using the nat
classifier (it appears that you are) on an existing interface you would
need to find a different SNMP OID for this, and I don't know whether it
exists. I'd suggest asking in the Cisco-NSP mailing list.
Failing that, if you export Netflow to a collector then you may be able
to get good information on a flow (ip src :src port <--> ip dst: dst
port) basis and you can identify your VPN traffic by source and
destination addresses. Might be overkill, but it is good for getting all
kinds of information.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 15:10 +0000, Shiv. NK wrote:
> Thanks for the information sent. VPN is between two Cisco routers. using
> SNMP, it is possible to monitor the interface traffic for a snmp enabled
> device through Zabbix/Cacti. But cannot differentiate between the the kind
> of traffic.
> Saying other way, there is internet traffic on the same interface part
> from VPN consumption. I am searching for a specific tool if exists, that
> can differentiate the kind of traffic and graph separately.

VPNs usually create Tunnel interfaces. These interfaces have statistics
like any other interface. Those statistics can be polled via SNMP. So
any decent NMS should be able to monitor those.

I monitor dozens of Tunnel (VPN) interfaces using ZenOSS; in my case
these are GRE tunnels protected using IPSec associations.