Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Persistent Kernel Parameters in GRUB

Greetings-

I have a few custom kernel parameters being passed to a CentOS box via the /boot/grub/grub.conf file. However, if there is a kernel update, and grub.conf is regenerated, how do I ensure my custom parameters are:

a. left in place on the older kernels
b. added to the new kernel?

I would think this should go in /etc/sysconfig/grub but I'm just not finding any documentation or examples of this in my searches. Could anyone offer a pointer?

--Tim

Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> I have a few custom kernel parameters being passed to a CentOS box via the
> /boot/grub/grub.conf file. However, if there is a kernel update, and
> grub.conf is regenerated, how do I ensure my custom parameters are:
>
> a. left in place on the older kernels
> b. added to the new kernel?
>
> I would think this should go in /etc/sysconfig/grub but I'm just not
> finding any documentation or examples of this in my searches. Could anyone
> offer a pointer?

Excellent question. I always delete the rhgb and quiet, or occasionally I
need to create my own grub.conf, and once I do that, 100% of the time,
when I get a kernel update, it sets the default to the last live kernel,
not the new one, leaving me to go through manually.

mark

Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Tim Nelson