Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Default st1000spex ethernet card and centos 6.2

On 5/12/2012 11:39 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> OK, I do have lspci on this system; I am going to it down and put the
> st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
> reboot.
>
> Greg
is the eth cable plugged in all the way?

Bob,

At this point i would sure take the fix if that were the problem. I
have the lights active on the mother board nic and the nic on the
st1000spex.

Here are the facts of the scenario that I have with the st1000spex
inserted in the pci-e slot :

lspci :
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

The first entry references the mother board nic and the second
references the st1000spex. Since both of these cards seem to have the
same chipset i would think this would be an easy thing to set up.

ifconfig only displays eth0, and does not display eth1

When I execute the command :

service network restart

eth0 is removed and restarted

then I get :

Bringing up interface eth1: Device eth1 does not seem to be present.
delaying initialization.

I have NetworkManager turned to off

I have /etc/sysconfig/networking/
#PCI-E Slot #1
#StarTech 10/100/1000
#HWADDR=00:0A:CD:1E:4D:F6
DEVICE=eth1
NAME="Internal Facing Network eth1"
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
DEFROUTE=yes
IPADDR=10.0.0.134
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
DNS1=127.0.0.1
DOMAIN="pomec.net"
UUID=4f637674-df3f-4fa8-a81a-8259563a1b1f
PREFIX=24
USERCTL=no

I have /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/icfg-eth1

set to :

Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 12.05.2012 18:59, schrieb Gregory P. Ennis:
> On 5/12/2012 11:39 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> OK, I do have lspci on this system; I am going to it down and put the
>> st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
>> reboot.
>>
>> Greg
> is the eth cable plugged in all the way?
>
> Bob,
>
> At this point i would sure take the fix if that were the problem. I
> have the lights active on the mother board nic and the nic on the
> st1000spex.
>
> Here are the facts of the scenario that I have with the st1000spex
> inserted in the pci-e slot :
>
> lspci :
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
>
> The first entry references the mother board nic and the second
> references the st1000spex. Since both of these cards seem to have the
> same chipset i would think this would be an easy thing to set up.
>
> ifconfig only displays eth0, and does not display eth1
>

> When I execute the command :
>
> service network restart
>
> eth0 is removed and restarted
>
> then I get :
>
> Bringing up interface eth1: Device eth1 does not seem to be present.
> delaying initialization.

Are both devices specified within /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules?

Alexander

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:

> It is interesting in that the nic interface on the mother board is
> listed as :
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
>
> The nic interface on the mother board works fine. Based on this I would
> have expected the st1000spex to work perfectly. The mmi entry is listed
> as R8169 for lsmod output, I am not really sure what this means.
>
> Greg
>
> OK, I do have lspci on this system; I am going to it down and put the
> st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
> reboot.

The best way to identify your network device is to get the
Vendorevice ID pairing. Please see the ELRepo FAQ #4 for details:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

Akemi

I have not found a solution, and in fact have made things worse.

This machine is a Gateway SX2370, and I am about to conclude there is a
bios problem. I am now unable to boot the machine when I have the
st1000spex in the pci-e slot. I can boot the machine when the on-board
nic is disabled with the st1000spex in place, but when I try to boot
with both I do not even get the bios screen.

This has me stumped for now

Greg

Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:

> It is interesting in that the nic interface on the mother board is
> listed as :
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
>
> The nic interface on the mother board works fine. Based on this I would
> have expected the st1000spex to work perfectly. The mmi entry is listed
> as R8169 for lsmod output, I am not really sure what this means.
>
> Greg
>
> OK, I do have lspci on this system; I am going to it down and put the
> st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
> reboot.

The best way to identify your network device is to get the
Vendorevice ID pairing. Please see the ELRepo FAQ #4 for details:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

Akemi

I have not found a solution, and in fact have made things worse.

This machine is a Gateway SX2370, and I am about to conclude there is a
bios problem. I am now unable to boot the machine when I have the
st1000spex in the pci-e slot. I can boot the machine when the on-board
nic is disabled with the st1000spex in place, but when I try to boot
with both I do not even get the bios screen.

This has me stumped for now

Greg

Everyone,

I logged on to the Gateway.com website and connected to their support
chat and was told that the Gateway SX2370 would not function with two or
more nic cards. I find that hard to believe, but I am making no
progress getting the bios to identify a second ethernet card. At this
point I will probably turn this machine back to Fry's for a different
model.

Greg

Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:

> It is interesting in that the nic interface on the mother board is
> listed as :
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
>
> The nic interface on the mother board works fine. Based on this I would
> have expected the st1000spex to work perfectly. The mmi entry is listed
> as R8169 for lsmod output, I am not really sure what this means.
>
> Greg
>
> OK, I do have lspci on this system; I am going to it down and put the
> st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
> reboot.

The best way to identify your network device is to get the
Vendorevice ID pairing. Please see the ELRepo FAQ #4 for details:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

Akemi

I have not found a solution, and in fact have made things worse.

This machine is a Gateway SX2370, and I am about to conclude there is a
bios problem. I am now unable to boot the machine when I have the
st1000spex in the pci-e slot. I can boot the machine when the on-board
nic is disabled with the st1000spex in place, but when I try to boot
with both I do not even get the bios screen.

This has me stumped for now

Greg

Everyone,

I logged on to the Gateway.com website and connected to their support
chat and was told that the Gateway SX2370 would not function with two or
more nic cards. I find that hard to believe, but I am making no
progress getting the bios to identify a second ethernet card. At this
point I will probably turn this machine back to Fry's for a different
model.

Greg

Everyone,

I finally figured out a fix to this problem. I had the StarTech
ST1000SPEX gigabit Ethernet tested in a microsoft machine and they
worked fine, but every time I tried to add them in a new Centos 6.2
install the machine would even boot after the second time of trying to
boot. I thought this may have been a problem with the bios if the
Gateway computer I was using so I tried a new install with an HP what
appeared to me to be a different bios. Unfortunately, the result was
the same.

On a fluke of a last resort, a give up attempt, I purchased another
manufacturer's card from TrendNet and everything worked as it was
supposed to work. The chipset was the same "RTL8111/8168B" for both the
TrendNet card and teh StarTech card.

I am not sure what caused the problem, but I wanted to report on the
list that I had a great deal of difficulty with the StarTech ST1000SPEX
card with a Gateway, and HP machine.

Greg Ennis

Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/21/12 7:23 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> The chipset was the same "RTL8111/8168B" for both the
> TrendNet card and teh StarTech card.

those RTL chips are near-junk. and startech stuff is junky versions of
junk.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On 05/21/12 7:23 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> The chipset was the same "RTL8111/8168B" for both the
> TrendNet card and teh StarTech card.

those RTL chips are near-junk. and startech stuff is junky versions of
junk.

May I add just a little intensity.... startech is junky to the power of
two. They cost me over two weeks of time trying to chase phantom
problems to figure out what I had done wrong.

Everyone, beware.... leave StarTech on the shelf at the store!!!!

Greg