Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 PM
mcclnx mcc

Default OT: PCI express questions???

We have several DELL servers run under CENTOS 5. I check server spec and found some servers expansion slot say PCIE and some say PCIE generation 2.

My questions are:

1. does PCI express meaning PCIE 1.0???

2. does PCIE generation 2 same like PCIE 2.0???

3. what is speed on following:

PCI X4:
PCI X8:

PCI generation 2 X4:
PCI generation 2 X8:

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 AM
John R Pierce

On 05/11/12 4:03 PM, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> 1. does PCI express meaning PCIE 1.0???

it means they didn't specify.

> 2. does PCIE generation 2 same like PCIE 2.0???

probably. ask the marketing droids that wrote that. the formal name
is PCI Express Base 2.0 specification

> 3. what is speed on following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions

PCI-E 1.x is 2.5GT/s and 250MByte/sec burst transfer per lane.

PCI-E 2.x is 5GT/s and 500MB/sec burst transfer per lane.

4 lanes are capable of 4 times that, 8 lanes, 8 times that, but each
lane can function independently, and its up to the card and its driver
software to dettermine how to utilize the lanes.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast