Old 04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
"Harry Sukumar"

Default Server Shut Down!!!!

Good Day All,

*

I have a serious problem on one of my servers running
CentOS 5!!!

*

The problem started this way,

*

I wanted to store some data under /home and I got an error
message saying it is in the read only mode

*

So I rebooted the machine,

*

Then I see this serious error messages at boot time (I am
unable to boot)

*

Here is the Error Message!!!

*

*** Error occurred during the file
system check.

*** Dropping you to shell; the system
will reboot

*** when you leave the shell

Give root password for maintenance

(or type control D to continue):

Bash: dircolors: command not found

Bash: /usr/bin/id: No such file or
directory

Bash: [:=: unary operator expected

(Repair filesystem)1 #

*

When I press control D the machine reboots itself and
comes back to the same prompt asking for root password for maintenance

*

Your help in this matter is highly appreciated

*

Many Thanks

Harry *

*

Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Bill Campbell

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008, Harry Sukumar wrote:

>Good Day All,

>I have a serious problem on one of my servers running CentOS 5!!!

>The problem started this way,

>I wanted to store some data under /home and I got an error message saying
>it is in the read only mode

>So I rebooted the machine,

>Then I see this serious error messages at boot time (I am unable to boot)

>Here is the Error Message!!!

>*** Error occurred during the file system check.

>*** Dropping you to shell; the system will reboot

This sounds like you have a serious disk/controller problem.

I would try booting the system with a Knoppix liveCD (or other
livecd of your preference), which should allow you to look at the
hard disk to analyze the problem(s), run fsck if fdisk shows that
the partition table is intact.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is
the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.
--GEORGE ORWELL

Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 AM
"Nicolas Sahlqvist"

Harry,

A badly crashed filesystem can seem to be in read only mode, did you check the mount flags and dmesg messages before rebooting?

Try booting up on a rescue CD and run fsck on all filesystems, if this does not work I suggest that you apply your backup.

// Nicco

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Harry Sukumar <hsukumar@bond.edu.au> wrote:

Good Day All,

*

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Barry Brimer

I have a serious problem on one of my servers running CentOS 5!!!

The problem started this way,

I wanted to store some data under /home and I got an error message
saying it is in the read only mode

So I rebooted the machine,

Then I see this serious error messages at boot time (I am unable to
boot)

Here is the Error Message!!!

*** Error occurred during the file system check.

*** Dropping you to shell; the system will reboot

*** when you leave the shell

Give root password for maintenance

(or type control D to continue):

Bash: dircolors: command not found

Bash: /usr/bin/id: No such file or directory

Bash: [:=: unary operator expected

(Repair filesystem)1 #

I would boot off CD1 or the Install DVD and boot into rescue mode, and
check /var/log/messages for any hard drive errors. If there are hard
drive errors, I would copy the data off, and then use e2fsck against the
partition(s) in question.

Barry