Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
aurfalien

Default File size diff on local disk vs NFS share

On May 3, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Glenn Cooper wrote:

>> By the way, this is only across NFS as when ssh'd into the server, the file size shows 2.5M, same as the clients when its local so its seems NFS is the culprit.
>>
>> I have r/wsize tweaked but thats it.
>
> Wild guess - cached file attributes not getting updated properly in the NFS client? Has the actual file size changed recently, like in the last few hours or days?
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Hi,

More info.

So the file in question is showing to be 2.5MB today, were as yesterday it was ~66MB.

A new file generated today is also 2.4MB but via NFS its 66MB, even when logged in to the server locally its 66MB!

You hinted to cache and so I looked around my Raid controller settings, specifically write through vs write back.

I will change it from write back to write through later tonight and report back.

The pattern is all files new files look to be 66MB until some time later.

I do have a 4GB mem cache on this Raid controller (Areca).

- aurf

Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
aurfalien

>> By the way, this is only across NFS as when ssh'd into the server, the file size shows 2.5M, same as the clients when its local so its seems NFS is the culprit.
>>
>> I have r/wsize tweaked but thats it.
>
> Wild guess - cached file attributes not getting updated properly in the NFS client? Has the actual file size changed recently, like in the last few hours or days?
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Something more relevant perhaps, mount options via FSTAB on the server are;

/dev/### /mountpoint xfs defaults,allocsize=64m,relatime,logbufs=8,logbsize =256k 0 0

Notice the allocsize of 64MB, perhaps relatime might be playing a role as well?

I will remove allocsize first and report back.

- aurf