Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Olaf Mueller

Default How to get status of notebook lid?

Hello,

I am using CentOS 5.1 on a toshiba tecra 8000 notebook. That works
great so far. The only thing I could not realize is to shutdown the
notebook if closing the lid. Therefor I need the current status (open
or close) of the lid, but I don't know how.
Is there any way to get this status, maybe under /proc/ or by some
command?

[root@beutelsend ~]# uname -a
Linux beutelsend 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 5 11:36:49 EST 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@beutelsend ~]# chkconfig --list apmd
apmd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
[root@beutelsend ~]# service apmd status
apmd (PID 1760) wird ausgeführt...

thank you very much
Olaf

Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:54 +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> Is there any way to get this status, maybe under /proc/ or by some
> command?

Look under /proc/acpi/button/lid/. On one of my notebooks, this works:

[ksandhu@krs ~] cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
info state

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux

Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Olaf Mueller

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

Hello,

> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:54 +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> Is there any way to get this status, maybe under /proc/ or by some
>> command?
> Look under /proc/acpi/button/lid/. On one of my notebooks, this
> works:
/proc/acpi doesn't here exists, acpid is installed. Is my notebook too
old?

# chkconfig --list acpid
acpid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
# service acpid status
#

Any other ideas?

regards
Olaf

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Olaf Mueller wrote:
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> > On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:54 +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> >> Is there any way to get this status, maybe under /proc/ or by some
> >> command?
> > Look under /proc/acpi/button/lid/. On one of my notebooks, this
> > works:
> /proc/acpi doesn't here exists, acpid is installed. Is my notebook too
> old?

That is entirely possible, yes. The 8000 is from ~1999? Might be that
the acpi bios is blacklisted. Searching for acpi in dmesg should give
more hints.

> Any other ideas?

With apm stuff like suspend when closing the lid usually goes through
the BIOS settings.

The only thing you'll find in /proc is /proc/apm. And IIRC this does not
give you the status of the lid button or similar.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Olaf Mueller

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Hello.

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> /proc/acpi doesn't here exists, acpid is installed. Is my notebook
>> too old?
> That is entirely possible, yes. The 8000 is from ~1999?
Yes, it is. I use it as a thin client (X -ac -port 177 -query <centos 5
server with kde 3.5.9>).

> Might be that
> the acpi bios is blacklisted. Searching for acpi in dmesg should give
> more hints.
# grep ACPI /var/log/dmesg
BIOS-e820: 000000000fff0000 - 0000000010000000 (ACPI data)
BIOS-e820: 00000000100b6e00 - 00000000100b7000 (ACPI NVS)
ACPI: RSDP (v000 TOSHIB ) @ 0x000f0d90
ACPI: RSDT (v001 TOSHIB 750 0x00970814 TASM 0x04010000) @
0x0fff0000
ACPI: FADT (v001 TOSHIB 750 0x00970814 TASM 0x04010000) @
0x0fff0054
ACPI: BOOT (v001 TOSHIB 750 0x00970814 TASM 0x04010000) @
0x0fff002c
ACPI: DSDT (v001 TOSHIB 8000 0x19981112 MSFT 0x0100000a) @
0x00000000
ACPI: Disabling ACPI support
ACPI Exception (utmutex-0262): AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Thread C1257AA0 could
not acquire Mutex [2] [20060707]
ACPI Exception (utmutex-0262): AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Thread C1257AA0 could
not acquire Mutex [2] [20060707]
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
PCI quirk: region fe00-fe3f claimed by PIIX4 ACPI

Is this also blacklisted under CentOS 4, or better, would CentOS 4 be
a solution for my problem?

regards
Olaf

Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Olaf Mueller wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Might be that
>> the acpi bios is blacklisted. Searching for acpi in dmesg should give
>> more hints.
> # grep ACPI /var/log/dmesg
>
> ACPI: Disabling ACPI support
> ACPI Exception (utmutex-0262): AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Thread C1257AA0 could
> not acquire Mutex [2] [20060707]
> ACPI Exception (utmutex-0262): AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Thread C1257AA0 could
> not acquire Mutex [2] [20060707]
> ACPI: Interpreter disabled.

> Is this also blacklisted under CentOS 4, or better, would CentOS 4 be
> a solution for my problem?

You can try with the live CD. But I'd think that it also is disabled
there.

Ralph

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Olaf Mueller

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Hello,

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
>> Is this also blacklisted under CentOS 4, or better, would CentOS 4
>> be a solution for my problem?
> You can try with the live CD. But I'd think that it also is disabled
> there.
thank you very much for your help. Now I have tried the CentOS 4.4
LiveCD with the following result.

# cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state: open

I am happy, it works!
But this also means that CentOS 4 must be installed on my already
installed CentOS 5 notebook. I suppose to use a CentOS 4 kernel under
CentOS 5 is not recommendable?

regards
Olaf