Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Andrew Reis

Default NTLMv2 compatibility in Samba 3.0.33 standard packages

Good afternoon/morning/evening everyone,

I've been running into
the problem of clients using Windows 7 with CentOS 5.X and file/printer
sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stand samba-3.0.33-x.x.x
packages DO NOT provide compatibility with Windows Vista/7. I've had to
manually compile samba from source or use the samba3x packages to fix
the problem. Just wondering if we're ever going to have the NTLMv2
subroutines compiled into the update/centosplus repo packages.

Thanks,

--

_ANDREW REIS_

MCTS, Network+
Software/Networking
Microsoft
Windows Support/Webmaster

DBMS Inc.
Email: areis@dbmsinc.com [1]
Direct
Line: (888) 862-0662 ext. 307
Emergency # ONLY: (218) 833-2508
__

Links:
------
[1] mailto:areis@dbmsinc.com

Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Paul Griffith

On 04/24/2012 07:01 PM, Andrew Reis wrote:

> Good afternoon/morning/evening everyone,
>
> I've been running into
> the problem of clients using Windows 7 with CentOS 5.X and file/printer
> sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stand samba-3.0.33-x.x.x
> packages DO NOT provide compatibility with Windows Vista/7. I've had to
> manually compile samba from source or use the samba3x packages to fix
> the problem. Just wondering if we're ever going to have the NTLMv2
> subroutines compiled into the update/centosplus repo packages.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Andrew,

According to the Samba website, Samba version support Windows 7 Domain
Logons started with Samba 3.2.12.

FYI....

---snip----
Samba versions supporting Windows7 Domain Logon

Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 using Samba Domain
Controllers has been added to the following versions:

Samba 3.4 or later
Samba 3.3.5 or later
Samba 3.3.2, 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 (with NOTES)
Samba 3.2.12 or later

We successfully tested Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 2600) with Samba 3.4.0,
Samba 3.3.7, Samba 3.3.5, Samba 3.3.2, Samba 3.2.15, Samba 3.2.12 and
other versions. Also tested Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Samba
3.5.6.

If you use older versions, Windows 7 box still can join the Samba Domain
but after rebooting, you will receive an error message: "the trust
relation between this workstation and the primary domain failed" and no
one can logon as any domain user.

-- Monyo 16:22, 5 June 2011 (UTC)

[0] - http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

-----snip----

Regards,
Paul

Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Alain Péan

Le 25/04/2012 01:01, Andrew Reis a écrit :
> I've been running into
> the problem of clients using Windows 7 with CentOS 5.X and file/printer
> sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stand samba-3.0.33-x.x.x
> packages DO NOT provide compatibility with Windows Vista/7. I've had to
> manually compile samba from source or use the samba3x packages to fix
> the problem. Just wondering if we're ever going to have the NTLMv2
> subroutines compiled into the update/centosplus repo packages.

Hi Andrew,

On my CentOS 5.x > 5.6 machines, I removed standard samba, 3.0.33, and
installed samba3x (3.5.6 at the time I did it first), for this very same
reason.

I don't want to compile anything if I can avoid it, and use the
supported packages from the distribution, that provides updates for it.

Alain

Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/28/2012 08:18 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Le 25/04/2012 01:01, Andrew Reis a écrit :
>> I've been running into
>> the problem of clients using Windows 7 with CentOS 5.X and file/printer
>> sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stand samba-3.0.33-x.x.x
>> packages DO NOT provide compatibility with Windows Vista/7. I've had to
>> manually compile samba from source or use the samba3x packages to fix
>> the problem. Just wondering if we're ever going to have the NTLMv2
>> subroutines compiled into the update/centosplus repo packages.
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On my CentOS 5.x > 5.6 machines, I removed standard samba, 3.0.33, and
> installed samba3x (3.5.6 at the time I did it first), for this very same
> reason.
>
> I don't want to compile anything if I can avoid it, and use the
> supported packages from the distribution, that provides updates for it.

There are 2 options for Windows 7 support that I recommend.

The first is what Alain recommended ... there is a samba-3x version that
is part of CentOS-5. The current version is:

samba3x-3.5.10-0.108.el5_8.src.rpm

That is a good option, and it will be supported with updates for the
lifetime of EL5.

Another option if you want to use the smb2 protocol (the one that is
used in Windows-7, 8, and Windows Server 2008 and is included in samba-4
and samba-3.6.x) then you can use enterprisesamba.org

http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.6/rhel/5/

I have personally used samba-3.6.x (and the standard LDAP in CentOS-5)
for the last 7 months from enterprisesamba.org for $work for a Windows
domain directory services without any major issues. (a domain for more
than 300 users and interconnected across several US states)

Info on smb2:

http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.0.html

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes