Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Ben Mills

Default Setting clock rate on CentOS kernel

Last evening I updated my Cent 5 server to 5.1. All went flawlessly, and
it rebooted with the new kernel just fine.

How do I set the clock rate on the new kernel? According to
documentation it can be done, but everything I read is rather vague.

Check out section 3 at the URL below:
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1/

I'm using a 32 bit server installation (no graphical stuff) on a Dell
Poweredge 2650. I'd like to compare performance of a 100 Hz kernel
against a 1KHz kernel. It reads like it's simple enough to set the
divider if I just knew where to set it.
--
Ben

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Ben Mills <bjmills@hwy39.net> wrote:
> Last evening I updated my Cent 5 server to 5.1. All went flawlessly, and
> it rebooted with the new kernel just fine.
>
> How do I set the clock rate on the new kernel? According to
> documentation it can be done, but everything I read is rather vague.
>
> Check out section 3 at the URL below:
> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1/
>
> I'm using a 32 bit server installation (no graphical stuff) on a Dell
> Poweredge 2650. I'd like to compare performance of a 100 Hz kernel
> against a 1KHz kernel. It reads like it's simple enough to set the
> divider if I just knew where to set it.

That section applies only if you are running CentOS in a virtual
machine. Is this the case??

Akemi

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Ben Mills

Akemi Yagi wrote:

I'm using a 32 bit server installation (no graphical stuff) on a Dell
Poweredge 2650. I'd like to compare performance of a 100 Hz kernel
against a 1KHz kernel. It reads like it's simple enough to set the
divider if I just knew where to set it.

That section applies only if you are running CentOS in a virtual
machine. Is this the case??

No, it's physical. After you replied, I found a good read on the divider
and I began to understand it.

Thanks,
--
Ben