Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Anne Wilson

Default CentOS 5.1 x86 medium installation problems

On Monday 07 April 2008 12:38, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi, I had downloaded CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image, and although it passed
> sha1sum or md5sum test and I burned it verifying it, installation failed.
>
> Also if I recall correctly, when I tested the medium during install, it
> failed although as I said the media was verified.
>
> ==> The same things happen with Scientific Linux 5.1 x86 installation
> DVD, so perhaps it is a Red Hat EL 5.1 x86 DVD issue?

I installed from the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image without a problem, so maybe it
is a post-install problem. What exactly happened that makes you say that it
failed? How far did you get, and what was the failure?

Anne

Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 12:38, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Hi, I had downloaded CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image, and although it passed
>> sha1sum or md5sum test and I burned it verifying it, installation failed.
>>
>> Also if I recall correctly, when I tested the medium during install, it
>> failed although as I said the media was verified.
>>
>> ==> The same things happen with Scientific Linux 5.1 x86 installation
>> DVD, so perhaps it is a Red Hat EL 5.1 x86 DVD issue?
>>
> I installed from the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image without a problem, so maybe it
> is a post-install problem. What exactly happened that makes you say that it
> failed? How far did you get, and what was the failure?

It was some time ago, and don't recall all details. I thought it was a
CentOS 5.1-specific issue, but when I had to reinstall and used
Scientific Linux 5.1 it didn't work either. I will redownload CentOS 5.1
x86 and will run it under vmware, so as to report the issues in the list.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 07 April 2008 14:19, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 07 April 2008 12:38, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >> Hi, I had downloaded CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image, and although it passed
> >> sha1sum or md5sum test and I burned it verifying it, installation
> >> failed.
> >>
> >> Also if I recall correctly, when I tested the medium during install, it
> >> failed although as I said the media was verified.
> >>
> >> ==> The same things happen with Scientific Linux 5.1 x86 installation
> >> DVD, so perhaps it is a Red Hat EL 5.1 x86 DVD issue?
> >
> > I installed from the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image without a problem, so maybe
> > it is a post-install problem. What exactly happened that makes you say
> > that it failed? How far did you get, and what was the failure?
>
> It was some time ago, and don't recall all details. I thought it was a
> CentOS 5.1-specific issue, but when I had to reinstall and used
> Scientific Linux 5.1 it didn't work either. I will redownload CentOS 5.1
> x86 and will run it under vmware, so as to report the issues in the list.

If neither worked, it doesn't sound like a download issue (agreeing with you
that it verified.) What exactly 'didn't work'?

Anne

Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

On 07/04/2008, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:
The same things happen with Scientific Linux 5.1 x86 installation
DVD, so perhaps it is a Red Hat EL 5.1 x86 DVD issue?
This has to be a hardware specific issue as two distros fail to install. Perhaps if you were to post your hardware specs, someone may spot an obvious problem.

Alan.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 14:19, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> I installed from the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD image without a problem, so maybe
>>> it is a post-install problem. What exactly happened that makes you say
>>> that it failed? How far did you get, and what was the failure?
>> It was some time ago, and don't recall all details. I thought it was a
>> CentOS 5.1-specific issue, but when I had to reinstall and used
>> Scientific Linux 5.1 it didn't work either. I will redownload CentOS 5.1
>> x86 and will run it under vmware, so as to report the issues in the list.
>>
> If neither worked, it doesn't sound like a download issue (agreeing with you
> that it verified.) What exactly 'didn't work'?

Regarding SL 5.1 x86 DVD being the case as the most recent that I
retested it under vmware, the image passed the sha1sum check, burned it
and verified at the same time with nerolinux, but during installation
the "medium checking" showed "FAILED", and when I proceeded with
installation something very bad like kernel-panic (but not sure if it
was kernel-panic) occurred and it rebooted.

I have checked my system with memtest86+ 1.70 with no problems found
with the default tests.

Now I am redownloading the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD install image, and I will
use the image itself first as a virtual DVD under vmware, and will try
to verify the medium during install and see if it proceeds OK with
installation.

If it succeeds, I will burn it to a DVD-RW and retry the same things.

SL 5.0 x86 DVD and CentOS 5.0 x86 DVD work OK.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, *Ioannis Vranos* <ivranos@freemail.gr
> <mailto:ivranos@freemail.gr>> wrote:
>
> The same things happen with Scientific Linux 5.1 x86 installation
> DVD, so perhaps it is a Red Hat EL 5.1 x86 DVD issue?
>

> This has to be a hardware specific issue as two distros fail to install.
> Perhaps if you were to post your hardware specs, someone may spot an
> obvious problem.

Do you mean use a command or something?

By heart, my system is:

CPU: Pentium III 1 GHz, FSB 133 MHz, 1 GB RAM.
Motherboard: ASUS CUV-4XE with the latest BIOS update.

My system passes memtest86+ 1.70 default tests.

SL 5.0 x86 and CentOS 5.0 x86 installation DVDs work OK.

SL 5.1 x86 and CentOS 5.1 x86 installation DVDs fail to install.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Johnny Hughes

Anne Wilson wrote:

[...]

ALSO ... if doing to VMWare, you can just point to the ISO file as a
CDROM and boot from it directly.

Try to install from that and see if it passes the media test.

That should help determine if the problem is a bad DVD image when burned
or some kind of kernel boot issue.

Not passing an md5sum/sha1sum can be caused by many things, some of
which are hardware based but do not affect the install.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:02 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> If neither worked, it doesn't sound like a download issue (agreeing with you
> >> that it verified.) What exactly 'didn't work'?
> >

> > Regarding SL 5.1 x86 DVD being the case as the most recent that I
> > retested it under vmware, the image passed the sha1sum check, burned it
> > and verified at the same time with nerolinux, but during installation
> > the "medium checking" showed "FAILED", and when I proceeded with
> > installation something very bad like kernel-panic (but not sure if it
> > was kernel-panic) occurred and it rebooted.
> >

> > I have checked my system with memtest86+ 1.70 with no problems found
> > with the default tests.
> >

> > Now I am redownloading the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD install image, and I will
> > use the image itself first as a virtual DVD under vmware, and will try
> > to verify the medium during install and see if it proceeds OK with
> > installation.
> >
> > If it succeeds, I will burn it to a DVD-RW and retry the same things.
> >
> > SL 5.0 x86 DVD and CentOS 5.0 x86 DVD work OK.
>
> ALSO ... if doing to VMWare, you can just point to the ISO file as a
> CDROM and boot from it directly.
>
> Try to install from that and see if it passes the media test.
>
> That should help determine if the problem is a bad DVD image when burned
> or some kind of kernel boot issue.
>
> Not passing an md5sum/sha1sum can be caused by many things, some of
> which are hardware based but do not affect the install.

Here's an issue with Kernel Panics that Ive had. It was not due to bad
media etc.. As it turned out it was the bios settings. Either the Bios
had to be set to """Default Settings""" or ""APCI"" had to be turned
off. Also overclocked processors will cause this also and bad ram.

Like Johnny said MD5sum besed on it passing is really dependent on the
media you burn the image to. There is really crappy media out there.
Stick to a good known brand

You can pass no apci to the kernel at install time and try that also.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

On 07/04/2008, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

ALSO ... if doing to VMWare, you can just point to the ISO file as a CDROM and boot from it directly.

Try to install from that and see if it passes the media test.

That should help determine if the problem is a bad DVD image when burned or some kind of kernel boot issue.

Not passing an md5sum/sha1sum can be caused by many things, some of which are hardware based but do not affect the install.
My usual advice - for those not using VMWare - is:
Once you have a valid ISO image (md5sum/sha1sum passed), burn it to DVD.

Attempt to mount the freshly burnt DVD. If the mount fails the DVD burn was bad.
If the mount succeeds, loop mount the ISO image and perform a diff -r

Alan.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> Now I am redownloading the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD install image, and I will
>> use the image itself first as a virtual DVD under vmware, and will try
>> to verify the medium during install and see if it proceeds OK with
>> installation.
>>
>> If it succeeds, I will burn it to a DVD-RW and retry the same things.
>>
>> SL 5.0 x86 DVD and CentOS 5.0 x86 DVD work OK.
>
> ALSO ... if doing to VMWare, you can just point to the ISO file as a
> CDROM and boot from it directly.
>
> Try to install from that and see if it passes the media test.

As I said above, this is what I am going to do first.

> That should help determine if the problem is a bad DVD image when burned
> or some kind of kernel boot issue.
>
> Not passing an md5sum/sha1sum can be caused by many things, some of
> which are hardware based but do not affect the install.

In my case the sha1sum/md5sum tests are succeeding.