FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
aurfalien
 
Default centos 6.2 md0 boot - no boot actually

Hi all,

Taken from this link;

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/print.php?form=1&topic_id=34988&forum=55&order=ASC &start=0

Seems like I am having the same issue.

I assigned my boot loader to be on /dev/md0 rather then the default of /dev/sda1

Does any one have insight to this?

Thanks in advance.


BTW, I have no swap partition and will do a swap file instead, easier to manage. Do I need swap to boot?

- aurf
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Patrick Lists
 
Default centos 6.2 md0 boot - no boot actually

On 04/12/2012 12:46 AM, aurfalien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Taken from this link;
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/print.php?form=1&topic_id=34988&forum=55&order=ASC &start=0
>
> Seems like I am having the same issue.
>
> I assigned my boot loader to be on /dev/md0 rather then the default of /dev/sda1

Not sure if this is valid for CentOS but on Fedora 15 I had to set the
metadata to version 0.90 when creating the /boot array. Without it (so
using metadata version 1.0 on /dev/md0 aka /boot) it would not boot.

Regards,
Patrick
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Bob Hoffman
 
Default centos 6.2 md0 boot - no boot actually

On 4/11/2012 6:46 PM, aurfalien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Taken from this link;
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/print.php?form=1&topic_id=34988&forum=55&order=ASC &start=0
>
> Seems like I am having the same issue.
>
> I assigned my boot loader to be on /dev/md0 rather then the default of /dev/sda1
>
> Does any one have insight to this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
> BTW, I have no swap partition and will do a swap file instead, easier to manage. Do I need swap to boot?
>
> - aurf

Hey Aurf,
Not sure, but this google cache of a 5.x set up might explain and help
you out.
If your problem is taking a drive out and the other not booting you may
not have allowed the initial snyc of the drives to complete...something
I would heartily suggest
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&gbv=1&sei=yRCGT_7MCqLi0QH6r9DWBw&hl=en&q=cache:5 QBSeA1JCZsJ:http://www.bobhoffman.com/test.html?a=17+bobhoffman.com+cat+/proc/mdstat&ct=clnk

that page shows how a raid 1 mirror was set up with 2 drives and one
spare. It goes over taking one out, adding a new one, etc....and even
making sure that grub is working on both drives.

not sure exactly which issue out of all those in that link you posted
you are having though.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default centos 6.2 md0 boot - no boot actually

On 04/12/2012 12:57 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 12:46 AM, aurfalien wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Taken from this link;
>>
>> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/print.php?form=1&topic_id=34988&forum=55&order=ASC &start=0
>>
>> Seems like I am having the same issue.
>>
>> I assigned my boot loader to be on /dev/md0 rather then the default of /dev/sda1
>
> Not sure if this is valid for CentOS but on Fedora 15 I had to set the
> metadata to version 0.90 when creating the /boot array. Without it (so
> using metadata version 1.0 on /dev/md0 aka /boot) it would not boot.
>

Patrick, you are spot one. This is a must, and default for CentOS is 1.2
I think.

There is no conversion, you can only backup data from partition on md0
and recreate md0 with:

mdadm --create /dev/md9 --level=1 --raid-disks=2 /dev/sdj1 /dev/sdl1
--metadata=0.90

return data and reinstall grub on sda AND sdb.


--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 AM
aurfalien
 
Default centos 6.2 md0 boot - no boot actually

On Apr 11, 2012, at 8:20 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> On 04/12/2012 12:57 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
>> On 04/12/2012 12:46 AM, aurfalien wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Taken from this link;
>>>
>>> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/print.php?form=1&topic_id=34988&forum=55&order=ASC &start=0
>>>
>>> Seems like I am having the same issue.
>>>
>>> I assigned my boot loader to be on /dev/md0 rather then the default of /dev/sda1
>>
>> Not sure if this is valid for CentOS but on Fedora 15 I had to set the
>> metadata to version 0.90 when creating the /boot array. Without it (so
>> using metadata version 1.0 on /dev/md0 aka /boot) it would not boot.
>>
>
> Patrick, you are spot one. This is a must, and default for CentOS is 1.2
> I think.
>
> There is no conversion, you can only backup data from partition on md0
> and recreate md0 with:
>
> mdadm --create /dev/md9 --level=1 --raid-disks=2 /dev/sdj1 /dev/sdl1
> --metadata=0.90
>
> return data and reinstall grub on sda AND sdb.

Really?

Any way to do this at install time?

- aurf
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org