Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
aurfalien

Default quickly setting /etc/rc levels

Hi all,

I vaguely recall being able to auto set various /etc/rc levels based on /etc/init.d/scriptname.

I am about to create the sym links by hand but wondering if any one has a shortcut to auto set the links?

Thanks in advance,

- aurf

Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
John Doe

From: aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>

> I vaguely recall being able to auto set various /etc/rc levels based on
> /etc/init.d/scriptname.
> I am about to create the sym links by hand but wondering if any one has a
> shortcut to auto set the links?

chkconfig?

JD

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 4/11/2012 11:34 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
>
>> I vaguely recall being able to auto set various /etc/rc levels based on
>> /etc/init.d/scriptname.
>> I am about to create the sym links by hand but wondering if any one has a
>> shortcut to auto set the links?
> chkconfig?

And the init scripts can have a header in them giving the default
settings for chkconfig. It looks like this:

# chkconfig: 2345 55 25

This line (taken from sshd) says that this service should run in run
levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 with a start priority of 55 and a stop priority of 25.

If the service doesn't have any links in the rc*.d directories yet,
'chkconfig --add svcname' will create the start and stop links based on
the chkconfig line in the script file.

--
Bowie

Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
aurfalien

On Apr 11, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> On 4/11/2012 11:34 AM, John Doe wrote:
>> From: aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I vaguely recall being able to auto set various /etc/rc levels based on
>>> /etc/init.d/scriptname.
>>> I am about to create the sym links by hand but wondering if any one has a
>>> shortcut to auto set the links?
>> chkconfig?
>
> And the init scripts can have a header in them giving the default
> settings for chkconfig. It looks like this:
>
> # chkconfig: 2345 55 25
>
> This line (taken from sshd) says that this service should run in run
> levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 with a start priority of 55 and a stop priority of 25.
>
> If the service doesn't have any links in the rc*.d directories yet,
> 'chkconfig --add svcname' will create the start and stop links based on
> the chkconfig line in the script file.

Yep that did it, thanks man, much appreciated, got tired of doing the links by hand.

- aurf