FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Markus Falb
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On 11.4.2012 12:35, sri wrote:
...
> My linux box, running with Centos-5.5, is showing up (??) a pseudo
> network interface for Eth0.
> On Switch where my Eth0 is connected, observed 2 MAC-Addresses.
> If a DHCP server present in LAN, the second pseudo interface is
> picking up a DHCP IP Address too.
> Furthermore you can ping both Eth0 ip and Psedo Eth0 IP from the switch.
> The intensity of the problem is more when port-security is configured
> on SW for that port.
>
> “ifconfig –a” is not showing that pseudo interface.

Show us the output of ifconfig -a
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Markus Falb
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On 11.4.2012 12:35, sri wrote:
> Group,
>
> My linux box, running with Centos-5.5, is showing up (??) a pseudo
> network interface for Eth0.
> On Switch where my Eth0 is connected, observed 2 MAC-Addresses.
> If a DHCP server present in LAN, the second pseudo interface is
> picking up a DHCP IP Address too.
> Furthermore you can ping both Eth0 ip and Psedo Eth0 IP from the switch.
> The intensity of the problem is more when port-security is configured
> on SW for that port.
>
> “ifconfig –a” is not showing that pseudo interface.
> From dmesg output, no new things observed related while detecting the
> eth0 NIC during bootup.
> Only proof for this pseudo inerface’s mac address is SW showing it (on
> the SW port connected to my box eth0) in “show mac address-table”
> output
>
> Is there anything that I have to check to nail down the issue.
>
> Any pointers are highly appreciated.

A running virtual machine which virtual interface is bridged to eth0 ?
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
yonatan pingle
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

Have you checked if your motherboard IPMI is not pulling an address during boot?


On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Markus Falb <markus.falb@fasel.at> wrote:
> On 11.4.2012 12:35, sri wrote:
> ...
>> My linux box, running with Centos-5.5, is showing up (??) a pseudo
>> network interface for Eth0.
>> On Switch where my Eth0 is connected, observed 2 MAC-Addresses.
>> If a DHCP server present in LAN, the second pseudo interface is
>> picking up a DHCP IP Address too.
>> Furthermore you can ping both Eth0 ip and Psedo Eth0 IP from the switch.
>> The intensity of the problem is more when port-security is configured
>> on SW for that port.
>>
>> “ifconfig –a” is not showing that pseudo interface.
>
> Show us the output of ifconfig -a
> --
> Kind Regards, Markus Falb
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle
RHCT | RHCSA | CCNA1
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
sri
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

Thanks for the responses.
Please see my answers to your questions:
1) What I want is to locate exactly where the psuedo IF and get rid of
it. Is there a way to prohibit the pseduo IF not to get DHCP answer?
2) Output of Ifconfig -a:
##########################################
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E4:1F:13:77:16:5F
inet addr:10.1.10.10 Bcast:10.1.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:7818 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7762 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:841003 (821.2 KiB) TX bytes:1095188 (1.0 MiB)
Interrupt:169 Memory:e8100000-e8110000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E4:1F:13:77:16:60
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:50 Memory:e8200000-e8210000

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:17:EB:AE:A4
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Memory:e8020000-e8040000

eth3 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:17:EB:AE:A5
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Memory:e8060000-e8080000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:11040 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:11040 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2731896 (2.6 MiB) TX bytes:2731896 (2.6 MiB)
###########################################
Output on Switch:
################################################## ####
SW#sh arp
Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet 10.1.10.1 - 0022.0c4d.c141 ARPA Vlan10
Internet 10.1.10.3 5 e41f.1377.1661 ARPA Vlan10
>>>>Psuedo Interface off Eth0
Internet 10.1.10.10 5 e41f.1377.165f ARPA Vlan10

SW#sh ip dhcp binding
IP address Client-ID/ Lease expiration Type
Hardware address
10.1.10.3 e41f.1377.1661 Mar 06 1993 10:22 AM
Automatic >>>>Psuedo Interface acquiring DHCP IP Address
10.1.30.57 0100.2713.6521.9c Mar 06 1993 10:03 AM Automatic

SW#ping 10.1.10.3

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.10.3, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 33/37/51 ms
SW#ping 10.1.10.10

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.10.10, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/9 ms
################################################## ####

3) No Virtual machine is running on this box.

4) Have you checked if your motherboard IPMI is not pulling an address
during boot?
-- Frankly, not sure how to check motherboard IPMI messages. Verified
dmesg output. Following is the dmesg output.
Please share any way to check motherboard IPMI is pulling another address?

dmesg output: (showing only eth0/eth1/eth2 output)
################################################## #######################
EDAC MC: Ver: 2.0.1 Apr 2 2010
EDAC MC0: Giving out device to i3200_edac i3200: DEV 0000:00:00.0
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 1.0.2-k3
e1000e: Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Intel Corporation.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:04:00.0 to 64
eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GB/s:Width x4) 00:15:17:eb:ae:a4
eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
eth0: MAC: 0, PHY: 4, PBA No: d56146-003
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.1[b] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 209
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:04:00.1 to 64
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
scsi 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
eth1: (PCI Express:2.5GB/s:Width x4) 00:15:17:eb:ae:a5
eth1: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
eth1: MAC: 0, PHY: 4, PBA No: d56146-003
tg3.c:v3.106 (January 12, 2010)
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:1f.3 (0141 -> 0143)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.3[b] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 209
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:00.0 to 64
eth2: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95722) rev a200 PHY(5722/5756)] (PCI Express)
10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet e4:1f:13:77:16:5f
eth2: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[1] WireSpeed[1] TSOcap[1]
eth2: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:01.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 50
eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95703A30) rev 1100 PHY(5703)]
(PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet e4:1f:13:77:16:60
eth1: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] WireSpeed[1] TSOcap[1]
eth1: dma_rwctrl[763f0000] dma_mask[64-bit]
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

################################################## #######################


Regards, Sri

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM, sri <bskmohan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Group,
>
> My linux box, running with Centos-5.5, is showing up (??) a pseudo
> network interface for Eth0.
> On Switch where my Eth0 is connected, observed 2 MAC-Addresses.
> If a DHCP server present in LAN, the second pseudo interface is
> picking up a DHCP IP Address too.
> Furthermore you can ping both Eth0 ip and Psedo Eth0 IP from the switch.
> The intensity of the problem is more when port-security is configured
> on SW for that port.
>
> “ifconfig –a” is not showing that pseudo interface.
> From dmesg output, no new things observed related while detecting the
> eth0 NIC during bootup.
> Only proof for this pseudo inerface’s mac address is SW showing it (on
> the SW port connected to my box eth0) in “show mac address-table”
> output
>
> Is there anything that I have to check to nail down the issue.
>
> Any pointers are highly appreciated.
>
>
> --
> --
> *Krishna Mohan B



--
--
*Krishna Mohan B
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On 04/11/12 9:36 AM, sri wrote:
> 4) Have you checked if your motherboard IPMI is not pulling an address
> during boot?
> -- Frankly, not sure how to check motherboard IPMI messages. Verified
> dmesg output. Following is the dmesg output.
> Please share any way to check motherboard IPMI is pulling another address?

well, first, does your motherboard *HAVE* an IPMI management module, and
if so, does it use a dedicated ethernet port, or is it 'piggybacked' on
eth0 ? the behavior shown could be the latter.

I'd look in the system or motherboard documentation for this...
depending on the IPMI module, it may have a web or ssh interface, or it
may require another system contact it via an 'ipmitool' of some sort.
It probably has an initial user/pass like admin/admin which should be
reconfigured during system configuration and deployment.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/12 9:36 AM, sri wrote:
>> 4) Have you checked if your motherboard IPMI is not pulling an address
>> during boot?
>> -- Frankly, not sure how to check motherboard IPMI messages. Verified
>> dmesg output. Following is the dmesg output.
>> Please share any way to check motherboard IPMI is pulling another address?
>
> well, first, does your motherboard *HAVE* an IPMI management module, and
> if so, does it use a *dedicated ethernet port, or is it 'piggybacked' on
> eth0 ? * the behavior shown could be the latter.
>
> I'd look in the system or motherboard documentation for this...
> depending on the IPMI module, it may have a web or ssh interface, or it
> may require another system contact it via an 'ipmitool' of some sort.
> It probably has an initial user/pass like admin/admin which should be
> reconfigured during system configuration and deployment.

There might be an option in the bios setup to disable IPMI or give it
a static address.

And are you really sure it is from this machine? If you
disconnect/shut down, do both IP's stop responding? If you can't
trace the wiring from the switch port you are checking to the host,
maybe there is an intermediate switch/hub with some other device.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Markus Falb
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On 12.4.2012 04:21, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM, John R Pierce <pierce-BRp9yk6zKL1Wk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
...
>> well, first, does your motherboard *HAVE* an IPMI management module, and
>> if so, does it use a dedicated ethernet port, or is it 'piggybacked' on
>> eth0 ? the behavior shown could be the latter.
...
> And are you really sure it is from this machine?

Have a look at the MAC addresses
eth1: E4:1F:13:77:16:60
"pseudo interface": E4:1F:13:77:16:61
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Markus Falb <markus.falb@fasel.at> wrote:
> On 12.4.2012 04:21, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM, John R Pierce <pierce-BRp9yk6zKL1Wk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> ...
>>> well, first, does your motherboard *HAVE* an IPMI management module, and
>>> if so, does it use a *dedicated ethernet port, or is it 'piggybacked' on
>>> eth0 ? * the behavior shown could be the latter.
> ...
>> And are you really sure it is from this machine?
>
> Have a look at the MAC addresses
> eth1: E4:1F:13:77:16:60
> "pseudo interface": E4:1F:13:77:16:61

Good point. That also identifies the devices as an IBM, making this
easier to find:
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5071483

The quick fix might be to just not use the onboard ethernet1 port
since it looks like there are others that are unused.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org