Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Frank Cox

Default totem-nautilus and totem - mp3 duration

I have both totem-nautilus and the assorted gstreamer-plugins installed for
playing mp3 files through Totem.

I note that Totem doesn't appear to know the duration of an mp3. For example,
if I right-click on a wav or ogg file and click on the audio tab, one of the
fields is Duration and it tells me how long that file will play.

If I do the same with a mp3 file the duration field is always 0 seconds.

When I play a mp3 file with Totem the progress bar across the bottom doesn't
move and the elapsed time display at the bottom says "Streaming" while counting
up the seconds.

Have I missed something when setting up Totem to play mp3's?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
John Stanley

On Mon, 2012-04-09 at 23:04 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> I note that Totem doesn't appear to know the duration of an mp3.

Please note it is a PITA cause 'Rhythmbox' does the same dance. OTH,
'XMMX' does not (sometimes) playing the same file.

I find some of it comes from improperly encoded files (.flaac, mp3,
etc). So the problem is not always the actual players. Sometimes it's
the encoding software libs.

John