Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
James Pifer

Default Removing LVM

I have a CentOS 5 machine in which I'm trying to remove lvm. I dd'ed the
file system to another partition, then dd'ed it back overwriting the lvm
partition. I then modified menu.lst and fstab and replaced the paths to
point to the correct device.

When the system boots it's still looking for lvm. I can restore the
system back to where it was with lvm, but I'm not sure what step I'm
missing to stop the system from looking for lvm.

I started following this url:
http://daniel-albuschat.blogspot.com/2008/02/converting-lvm-to-normal-partition.html

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James

Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Markus Falb

On 10.4.2012 02:42, James Pifer wrote:
> I have a CentOS 5 machine in which I'm trying to remove lvm. I dd'ed the
> file system to another partition, then dd'ed it back overwriting the lvm
> partition. I then modified menu.lst and fstab and replaced the paths to
> point to the correct device.
>
> When the system boots it's still looking for lvm. I can restore the
> system back to where it was with lvm, but I'm not sure what step I'm
> missing to stop the system from looking for lvm.

Extract the initrd, edit the init script (I do not remember the name)
and compress initrd again. I had to this some time ago after renaming a
Volume Group. There is some lvm stuff hardcoded in this script.
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 AM
"Mike Burger"

> I have a CentOS 5 machine in which I'm trying to remove lvm. I dd'ed the
> file system to another partition, then dd'ed it back overwriting the lvm
> partition. I then modified menu.lst and fstab and replaced the paths to
> point to the correct device.
>
> When the system boots it's still looking for lvm. I can restore the
> system back to where it was with lvm, but I'm not sure what step I'm
> missing to stop the system from looking for lvm.
>
> I started following this url:
> http://daniel-albuschat.blogspot.com/2008/02/converting-lvm-to-normal-partition.html
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> James

James,

>From what you've written above, I don't see where you removed the LVs or
the physical volumes from the LVM setup, using the LVM tools. If you want
to remove the disk from LVM, that would be the proper way to go about
doing so.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org http://dogpound2.citadel.org
https://dogpound2.citadel.org

or send a blank email to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
James Pifer

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 04:59 +0200, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 10.4.2012 02:42, James Pifer wrote:
> > I have a CentOS 5 machine in which I'm trying to remove lvm. I dd'ed the
> > file system to another partition, then dd'ed it back overwriting the lvm
> > partition. I then modified menu.lst and fstab and replaced the paths to
> > point to the correct device.
> >
> > When the system boots it's still looking for lvm. I can restore the
> > system back to where it was with lvm, but I'm not sure what step I'm
> > missing to stop the system from looking for lvm.
>
> Extract the initrd, edit the init script (I do not remember the name)
> and compress initrd again. I had to this some time ago after renaming a
> Volume Group. There is some lvm stuff hardcoded in this script.

Markus,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm very close, I think. I used the
instructions here for working with initrd's script:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/how-to-view-modify-and-recreate-initrd-img/

I'm still having a problem booting up. I can't seem to figure out what
the proper settings should be in initrd. When I boot I get:

devicemapper: dmraid45: initialized v0.2594l
Waiting for driver initialization.
Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Trying to resume from /dev/sda2
Unable to access resume device (/dev/sda2)
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem ’/dev/root’
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Here are my relevant files:
fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 53.7 GB, 53687091200 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 6527 cylinders, total 104857600 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xea6c011f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 208844 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 208845 4401809 2096482+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 4401810 46122614 20860402+ 83 Linux

fstab:
/dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1
#LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

menu.lst:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/ces.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-274.17.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-274.17.1.el5 ro root=/dev/sda3
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-274.17.1.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-274.3.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/sda3
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5.img
title Centreon Enterprise Server (2.6.18-194.3.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/sda3
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.img

initrd init:
#!/bin/nash

mount -t proc /proc /proc
setquiet
echo Mounting proc filesystem
echo Mounting sysfs filesystem
mount -t sysfs /sys /sys
echo Creating /dev
mount -o mode=0755 -t tmpfs /dev /dev
mkdir /dev/pts
mount -t devpts -o gid=5,mode=620 /dev/pts /dev/pts
mkdir /dev/shm
mkdir /dev/mapper
echo Creating initial device nodes
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
mknod /dev/zero c 1 5
mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9
mknod /dev/systty c 4 0
mknod /dev/tty c 5 0
mknod /dev/console c 5 1
mknod /dev/ptmx c 5 2
mknod /dev/rtc c 10 135
mknod /dev/tty0 c 4 0
mknod /dev/tty1 c 4 1
mknod /dev/tty2 c 4 2
mknod /dev/tty3 c 4 3
mknod /dev/tty4 c 4 4
mknod /dev/tty5 c 4 5
mknod /dev/tty6 c 4 6
mknod /dev/tty7 c 4 7
mknod /dev/tty8 c 4 8
mknod /dev/tty9 c 4 9
mknod /dev/tty10 c 4 10
mknod /dev/tty11 c 4 11
mknod /dev/tty12 c 4 12
mknod /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64
mknod /dev/ttyS1 c 4 65
mknod /dev/ttyS2 c 4 66
mknod /dev/ttyS3 c 4 67
echo Setting up hotplug.
hotplug
echo Creating block device nodes.
mkblkdevs
echo "Loading ehci-hcd.ko module"
insmod /lib/ehci-hcd.ko
echo "Loading ohci-hcd.ko module"
insmod /lib/ohci-hcd.ko
echo "Loading uhci-hcd.ko module"
insmod /lib/uhci-hcd.ko
mount -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
echo "Loading jbd.ko module"
insmod /lib/jbd.ko
echo "Loading ext3.ko module"
insmod /lib/ext3.ko
echo "Loading scsi_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.ko
echo "Loading sd_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/sd_mod.ko
echo "Loading scsi_transport_spi.ko module"
insmod /lib/scsi_transport_spi.ko
echo "Loading mptbase.ko module"
insmod /lib/mptbase.ko
echo "Loading mptscsih.ko module"
insmod /lib/mptscsih.ko
echo "Loading mptspi.ko module"
insmod /lib/mptspi.ko
echo "Loading libata.ko module"
insmod /lib/libata.ko
echo "Loading ata_piix.ko module"
insmod /lib/ata_piix.ko
echo "Loading dm-mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-mod.ko
echo "Loading dm-log.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-log.ko
echo "Loading dm-mirror.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-mirror.ko
echo "Loading dm-zero.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-zero.ko
echo "Loading dm-snapshot.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-snapshot.ko
echo "Loading dm-mem-cache.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-mem-cache.ko
echo "Loading dm-region_hash.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-region_hash.ko
echo "Loading dm-message.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-message.ko
echo "Loading dm-raid45.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-raid45.ko
echo Waiting for driver initialization.
stabilized --hash --interval 1000 /proc/scsi/scsi
mkblkdevs
echo Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
resume /dev/sda2
echo Creating root device.
mkrootdev -t ext3 -o defaults,ro /dev/sda3
echo Mounting root filesystem.
mount /sysroot
echo Setting up other filesystems.
setuproot
echo Switching to new root and running init.
switchroot

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James