Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Tom Bishop

Default vpostmaster and Centos 6

Read through several vpostmaster email threads via the centos mail list,
I am about to go down the vpostmaster bunny hole. I need a spam filter for
a very small site, my church, 20 or so mailboxes and just need something
easy to setup and maintain.

One of my inital thoughts when I was creating the centos 6 VM was what
sort of disk space is required, nothing in the docs called anything out,
they talked about memory which is not an issue for me and I gave 2Gb for
the memory and threw a small disk out of it. Is anyone running it with
Centos 6, it appears from the mailing list that it should work with centos
6 but wanted to see if anyone was using it. Also, if anyone has any
tips/guides/tweaks that they can recommend/share that would be great,
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Nataraj

On 04/09/2012 09:07 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Read through several vpostmaster email threads via the centos mail list,
> I am about to go down the vpostmaster bunny hole. I need a spam filter for
> a very small site, my church, 20 or so mailboxes and just need something
> easy to setup and maintain.
>
> One of my inital thoughts when I was creating the centos 6 VM was what
> sort of disk space is required, nothing in the docs called anything out,
> they talked about memory which is not an issue for me and I gave 2Gb for
> the memory and threw a small disk out of it. Is anyone running it with
> Centos 6, it appears from the mailing list that it should work with centos
> 6 but wanted to see if anyone was using it. Also, if anyone has any
> tips/guides/tweaks that they can recommend/share that would be great,
> Thanks in advance.

Disk space requirements for vpostmaster are pretty close to a standard
CentOS install (for the software itself). The vpostmaster install
procedure will install postfix (though you should let the install script
install all of these packages, since it installs some things from the
vpostmaster repository), postgres, dovecot, clamav, spamassassin and a
few other small packages.

Then you need to include space for /var/spool/vpostmaster depending on
how much space you want imap mail accounts to keep on line, or if your
using pop, enough space to hold pop mail until the clients download it.
In either case, much less than an exchange server. It just depends
whether your users need to keep a GB or more of email online or whether
200-300mb is enough. For pop clients I only give them 30-50mb, but they
pick up their mail every day.

I currently run it on CentOS 5, however there are at least a few people
who have reported sucess with CentOS 6 on the vpostmaster list.

There are not many people using vpostmaster on this list. I suggest you
join the vpostmaster list.

Nataraj

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Tom Bishop

Thanks, this will be frontending an exchange setup I assume that I dont
have to use pop pr imap that I can just filter and have the mail delivered
via the vpostmaster to exchange.

I will go sign up for the mail list...

Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Nataraj

On 04/09/2012 10:57 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Thanks, this will be frontending an exchange setup I assume that I dont
> have to use pop pr imap that I can just filter and have the mail delivered
> via the vpostmaster to exchange.

I'm not intimately familiar with exchanges, but I can think of 2
different approaches

1) easiest - setup mail forwarding individually for each user account
from the GUI - be sure to uncheck local delivery if you don't want to
store mail on the local server.

2) If exchange supports doing pickups from pop mailboxes, you can do that

I think those are the easiest options. Though you could configure
postfix to forward all email for a domain, I don't think you want to do
that because that won't give you all the spam control features of
vpostmaster without implementing that yourself.

Nataraj

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Nataraj wrote:
> On 04/09/2012 10:57 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
>> Thanks, this will be frontending an exchange setup I assume that I dont
>> have to use pop pr imap that I can just filter and have the mail
>> delivered via the vpostmaster to exchange.
<snip>
> 1) easiest - setup mail forwarding individually for each user account
<snip>
> 2) If exchange supports doing pickups from pop mailboxes, you can do that
<snip>
Actually, given the OP's comments - everywhere I've worked in years
really, *really* wants you to use IMAP, even in Windows, not POP-3 - so
the alternative would seem to be sendmail/dovecot.

OP - should we assume that those running the Exchange server have all the
antivirus, etc, in place?

mark

Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Tom Bishop

Yup, I feel good about our antivirus front, that is installed and all up to
date, what I am after now is a simple, yet effective smtp relay/gateway to
go to exchange server 2010.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 4/9/2012 2:49 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Yup, I feel good about our antivirus front, that is installed and all up to
> date, what I am after now is a simple, yet effective smtp relay/gateway to
> go to exchange server 2010.

Whatever you do, your front-line mail server MUST be able to reject
invalid email addresses for your domain. If you just pass the whole
domain through to exchange, then you are going to be generating
backscatter spam when exchange rejects the invalid users.

--
Bowie

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Nataraj

On 04/09/2012 11:49 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Yup, I feel good about our antivirus front, that is installed and all up to
> date, what I am after now is a simple, yet effective smtp relay/gateway to
> go to exchange server 2010.
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Nataraj wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> 1) easiest - setup mail forwarding individually for each user account
>> <snip>
>>> 2) If exchange supports doing pickups from pop mailboxes, you can do that
>> <snip>
>> Actually, given the OP's comments - everywhere I've worked in years
>> really, *really* wants you to use IMAP, even in Windows, not POP-3 - so
>> the alternative would seem to be sendmail/dovecot.
>>
>> OP - should we assume that those running the Exchange server have all the
>> antivirus, etc, in place?
>>
>> mark

vpostmaster includes a complete running dovecot setup supporting either
imap, pop3 or mail forwarding. For 20 users, just using mail forwarding
(or pickup via imap or pop) with vpostmaster is probably the easiest to
setup because you don't have to mess with postfix, sendmail or
spamassassin at the configuration file level.

If you want to build your own mail configuration, you could use either
postfix or sendmail and it should be possible to install various spam
filtering packages and then configure it to forward all mail for the
domain to another server. This would save you having to create
individual accounts on the mail relay, but is a whole lot more work to
setup than using vpostmaster, especially if you only have 20 users. It
also requires much more understanding of the MTA (postfix or sendmail)
as well as the spam control software that you run.

vpostmaster also includes greylisting and SPF. After installing CentOS
you could probably have it up and running in 1/2 hour or less.
Installing individual components, depending on your level of experience,
you could easily spend several days or a week or more getting all the
components running smoothly together.

I successfully used sendmail for years and at this time, I prefer
postfix and find it much easier to configure and setup securely.

nataraj

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Nataraj

On 04/09/2012 12:02 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 4/9/2012 2:49 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
>> Yup, I feel good about our antivirus front, that is installed and all up to
>> date, what I am after now is a simple, yet effective smtp relay/gateway to
>> go to exchange server 2010.
> Whatever you do, your front-line mail server MUST be able to reject
> invalid email addresses for your domain. If you just pass the whole
> domain through to exchange, then you are going to be generating
> backscatter spam when exchange rejects the invalid users.

Yes, I would agree with this, so you end up having to create local
accounts anyway, unless you link postfix into an active directory server
and I wouldn't suggest this unless you have a fair amount of experience
and time to figure out how to do it.

Nataraj