Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Craig White

Default MS Exchange Replacement

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 23:25 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >What about Zimbra or Scallix?
> >

> Zimbra looks impressive! Anyone here running it?
----
you might want to hold off on Zimbra since it's likely to become a
Microsoft owned product.

Craig

Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Test

I personnaly like the combination: Postfix, Mailscanner, Group-Office.

Group-office has the functionality i need (email, calendar, calendar
sharing, tasks, filemanager, addressbooks, projectmanager etc...
Yet is quite simple to setup and use...
In the professional version there is also a synchronisation option to sync
with outlook...

Authentication can be performed on database, email or ldap...

eGroupware is another one, similir to group-office but with much more
functionality.

that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Shawn Everett

On Sunday 06 April 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
> that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

Kollab is pretty decent although it's a bit particular to install.

Shawn

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
js

Shawn Everett wrote:

On Sunday 06 April 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

Thanks!
jlc

Kollab is pretty decent although it's a bit particular to install.

Shawn

And don't forget horde-groupware webmail edition, you can use your own
imap server (cyrus-imap in my case) to authenticate users:
a good groupware.

Regars

js.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Kevin Thorpe

js wrote:

Shawn Everett wrote:

On Sunday 06 April 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?
We're running the Community edition of Scalix. Easy to setup, easy to
administrate. Fully integrates with Outlook and has an AJAX webmail app
as an alternative. On the down side it's a bit server heavy (as Java
tends to be) and the IMAP server is a bit buggy, but if you use Outlook
then you'll avoid that.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
"Tronn Wśrdahl"

On 4/7/08, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

Thanks!

jlc
*
What about Open-Xchange they have two open source versions. It could be a challange to compile OX, then you could use the install CD (iso-image) from NnorTuX http://www.nnortux.no

*
Tronn

*

"The box said: Requires MS Windows or better, so I installed Linux"

Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
"Simon Jolle"

2008/4/7, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com>:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
> > that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

> What about Zimbra or Scallix?

Both not Open Source
Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.

cheers
Simon

--
XMPP: sjolle@swissjabber.org

Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

What about Zimbra or Scallix?

Both not Open Source
Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.

cheers
Simon

Well, that's the closest you gonna get. Open Exchange, eGroupware, etc
doesn't even come close to MS Exhange.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Steven Haigh

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange
with

that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

What about Zimbra or Scallix?

Both not Open Source
Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.

cheers
Simon

Open Source does not depend on the license. You've been drinking the
GPL koolaid too long if you think this is the case.

Without turning this into a religious debate that I can see on the
horizon, you should really read this:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Comparing the Zimbra licensing (http://www.zimbra.com/license/) to the
definitions in the link above, Zimbra seems to fit the definition of
Open Source...

The Scalix license (http://www.scalix.com/community/opensource/licensing.php
) may also fit the bill...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Johnny Hughes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?

What about Zimbra or Scallix?

Both not Open Source
Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.

Well, the first part of your statement is debatable (that they are not
"Open Source"), but the second part is fact .. they do not use OSI
approved licenses. So, if your definition of "Open Source" is an OSI
approved license, then they are not open source.

What's more, in all of these cases full outlook capability is not
provided in the "Free" version anyway.

Outlook calender/meeting functionality requires (in almost all the
solutions) a really non open source (proprietary and not compilable)
program to make use of the proprietary outlook/exchange interface called
MAPI. Most of the free versions of these mail systems use IMAP, with
will not properly be used by outlook to do calander functions ... and
they charge for the outlook MAPI client, which will allow for outlook
calender/meeting functions.