Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Default kernel LANG option

One thing that irritates me is that I'll copy something from a site in ff
and paste it into webmail (squirrel/ensign, if that matters); then, in the
evening, when I want to forward it to one or more of my lists, using
t-bird, I have to clean it up *all* the time: 2-3 characters replacing ",'
and -. I can't seem to find anything in either the webmail options (which
I have set to plain text), or kde (thinking of the buffer it's held in),
to affect this. I'm googling, but haven't seen what the effect of changing
the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf from en_US.UTF-8 to, say, en_US,
or maybe even, if that's an option, ASCII....

Anyone know?

mark, almost ready to install and play with a friend from a techie
mailing
list's email tool, running on top of mutt....

Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Woodchuck

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:31:54AM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> One thing that irritates me is that I'll copy something from a site in ff
> and paste it into webmail (squirrel/ensign, if that matters); then, in the
> evening, when I want to forward it to one or more of my lists, using
> t-bird, I have to clean it up *all* the time: 2-3 characters replacing ",'
> and -. I can't seem to find anything in either the webmail options (which
> I have set to plain text), or kde (thinking of the buffer it's held in),
> to affect this. I'm googling, but haven't seen what the effect of changing
> the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf from en_US.UTF-8 to, say, en_US,
> or maybe even, if that's an option, ASCII....
>
> Anyone know?
>
> mark, almost ready to install and play with a friend from a techie
> mailing
> list's email tool, running on top of mutt....

Try export LANG=C
That cuts out a lot of the crap, and restores, among other things,
a sane collating order. (A-Z collate before a-z, not case-blind.)
That should be in root's profile, at the very least.

Dave
--
You can make a lovely hat out of previously-used aluminum foil.
Recycled glass bottles can be made into roads, tiles, even surfboards.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Woodchuck wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:31:54AM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> One thing that irritates me is that I'll copy something from a site in
>> ff and paste it into webmail (squirrel/ensign, if that matters); then, in
>> the evening, when I want to forward it to one or more of my lists, using
>> t-bird, I have to clean it up *all* the time: 2-3 characters replacing
>> ",' and -. I can't seem to find anything in either the webmail options
>> (which I have set to plain text), or kde (thinking of the buffer it's
held in),
>> to affect this. I'm googling, but haven't seen what the effect of
>> changing the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf from en_US.UTF-8 to,
say, en_US,
>> or maybe even, if that's an option, ASCII....
>>
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> mark, almost ready to install and play with a friend from a
>> techie mailing list's email tool, running on top of
mutt....

> Try export LANG=C
> That cuts out a lot of the crap, and restores, among other things,
> a sane collating order. (A-Z collate before a-z, not case-blind.)
> That should be in root's profile, at the very least.

Hmmm, let me try that tonight. It might help, esp. given that, having seen
X issues over the years, I run at home in runlevel 3, and then startx....
> --
> You can make a lovely hat out of previously-used aluminum foil.

I can think of a lot of folks who should have those as warnings to the
rest of us....

mark