Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Next kernel?

First, let me say that I don't know if you're getting paid for the work
you do for CentOS, but the speed that you put out updates - they're out
around or before I get the email from RH - is very much appreciated, and
if we're ever at the same place, I'd like to buy you a drink.

Now, a week or two ago, someone was posting here, having problems with NFS
hanging under a heavy load, and IIRC, mentioned successfully testing with
a newer RHEL kernel - was it 2.6.32-250 or so? - and I was wondering how
soon that was in the pipeline, because I'd like to play with it. We don't
have it hanging with the current and last couple 6.2 kernels, but reading
from and writing to an NFS-mounted directory is six times slower than
reading from that directory, and writing to the local disk; for that
reason, we've stopped pushing the migration from 5.x to 6.2 on our home
directory servers, and rolled several back to 5.x

mark

Old 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/05/2012 09:32 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> First, let me say that I don't know if you're getting paid for the work
> you do for CentOS, but the speed that you put out updates - they're out
> around or before I get the email from RH - is very much appreciated, and
> if we're ever at the same place, I'd like to buy you a drink.
>
> Now, a week or two ago, someone was posting here, having problems with NFS
> hanging under a heavy load, and IIRC, mentioned successfully testing with
> a newer RHEL kernel - was it 2.6.32-250 or so? - and I was wondering how
> soon that was in the pipeline, because I'd like to play with it. We don't
> have it hanging with the current and last couple 6.2 kernels, but reading
> from and writing to an NFS-mounted directory is six times slower than
> reading from that directory, and writing to the local disk; for that
> reason, we've stopped pushing the migration from 5.x to 6.2 on our home
> directory servers, and rolled several back to 5.x

I am pretty sure that kernel was provided via a customer support call
that is hidden in bugzilla .. so we (CentOS) would not have access to
the kernel or the SRPM until they release it via the public FTP.

If they release the SRPM publicly (in a people.redhat.com directory or
somewhere else via the bugzilla, I will be happy to rebuild it and
release it as a test kernel.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes