Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Pam Astor

Default Apache Authorization Access Control - locationofhtpasswd in Centos 5.1?

>>>*
>>>I think you only need to create the directory /passwd, then use 'touch' to create*the file, passwords*

>>>Thanks Thomas,
>>*
>>Not familiar with the "touch" command, can you point me to info on it, or show
>>the command syntax?
>Not sure if htpasswd creates the password file.* If not, the as root, run:* touch passwords ,in the */passwd directory.* It will be an empty file, but the 'htpasswd -c' should create this for you.
>*
>I think you have a permissions problem so if you create the passwrds file with touch, you probably won't be able to add the password to it using htpasswd either.
>*
>Where are you creating these directories?* In the past when I used this, my passwd directory was*/var/www/passwd/
*
I created*/passwd/passwords in the main directory*/ and*then ran the /usr/bin/htpasswd -c /passwd/passwords* famsite command.
I chmoded 777 the passwords dir so I don't think that's the problem.* I'm doing this as root.
*
Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!