Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Jonathan Vomacka

Default 6.2 - How to check for a failed disk using LVM with a hardware RAID (3ware)

CentOS Community,

What commands can I use to check the disk health of the system when LVM2
is being used on top of a RAID 10 using a HARDWARE 3ware raid card. The
OS sees a hardware raid usually as one big drive. Is there a way to
check the disks individually to see if any are failing, or throwing hard
or scsi transport errors?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Philippe Naudin

Le jeu. 05 avril 2012 08:38:39 CEST, Jonathan Vomacka a écrit:

> CentOS Community,
>
> What commands can I use to check the disk health of the system when LVM2
> is being used on top of a RAID 10 using a HARDWARE 3ware raid card. The
> OS sees a hardware raid usually as one big drive. Is there a way to
> check the disks individually to see if any are failing, or throwing hard
> or scsi transport errors?

You can try : man smartctl

smartd can access individual disks behind (supported) RAID controllers.

--
Philippe Naudin

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 04/05/2012 02:38 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> What commands can I use to check the disk health of the system when LVM2
> is being used on top of a RAID 10 using a HARDWARE 3ware raid card. The
> OS sees a hardware raid usually as one big drive. Is there a way to
> check the disks individually to see if any are failing, or throwing hard
> or scsi transport errors?

You need to get the tw_cli tool from the 3ware page. With this you can
check the health of the raid and its disks:

# tw_cli /c0 show

Unit UnitType Status %RCmpl %V/I/M Stripe Size(GB) Cache AVrfy
u0 RAID-10 OK - - 256K 1862.62 ON OFF

Port Status Unit Size Blocks Serial
p0 OK u0 931.51 GB 1953525168 WD-WMATV4882192
p1 OK u0 931.51 GB 1953525168 WD-WMATV4911813
p2 OK u0 931.51 GB 1953525168 WD-WMATV4884633
p3 OK u0 931.51 GB 1953525168 WD-WMATV4881597
p4 NOT-PRESENT - - - -
p5 NOT-PRESENT - - - -
p6 NOT-PRESENT - - - -
p7 NOT-PRESENT - - - -

Regards,
Dennis

Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Jerry Franz

On 04/05/2012 05:38 AM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> What commands can I use to check the disk health of the system when LVM2
> is being used on top of a RAID 10 using a HARDWARE 3ware raid card. The
> OS sees a hardware raid usually as one big drive. Is there a way to
> check the disks individually to see if any are failing, or throwing hard
> or scsi transport errors?

yum install smartmontools

smartctl -a /dev/twa0 -d 3ware,0

You can check each drive by changing '3ware,0' to '3ware,x' where x is
the drive #.

You can automate the checks by configuring /etc/smartd.conf using lines
like:

/dev/twa0 -d 3ware,0 -H -l selftest -l error -o on -S on -s
(O/../../6/22|S/../../1/2|L/../../2/1) -m root@yourdomain.com

Remember to comment out the default line (the first line of
/etc/smartd.conf).

--
Benjamin Franz