Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Tony Schreiner

Default Apache Authorization Access Control - location of htpasswd in Centos 5.1?

Pam Astor wrote:
> > I tried creating a password file by executing htpasswd -c
/passwd/passwords

> > famsite but apparently htpasswd is not in my path, I’m getting the
> > “cannot create file /passwd/passwords famsite” error.
>
> That rather sounds like the path /passwd/passwords does not exist or
is not

> writable.

Well, I just tried chomd 777 passwords and still the same problem.

Can you show us what the result of the

ls -l /passwd/passwords

command is?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Pam Astor

> > /passwd/passwords
> > >
> > > That rather sounds like the path /passwd/passwords does not exist or
> > is not
> > > writable.
> > >

> > Well, I just tried chomd 777 passwords and still the same problem.
>
> Can you show us what the result of the
>
> ls -l /passwd/passwords
>
> command is?

*

Thanks for asking there, actually the problem*has been*solved, I deleted the passwords

dir and chmoded 777 the passwd dir and the unsername and password were created

by htpasswd.

*

*

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Garrick Staples

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:59:19PM -0400, Pam Astor alleged:

> Thanks for asking there, actually the problem has been solved, I deleted the passwords
> dir and chmoded 777 the passwd dir and the unsername and password were created
> by htpasswd.

No, 777 is always incorrect for regular files and directories. You won't find
a single example of a 777 file or directory anywhere on your machine.

University of Southern California