Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Volker Poplawski

Default Centos6: Boot from usb 3.0ls /

On 23.02.2012 14:25, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 09:52:54 AM Volker Poplawski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm booting Centos6 from a usb 3.0 stick.
>>
>> This works fine as long as the usb-stick is connected to a usb 2.0 port.
>> Once I plug the the usb-stick into a blue usb 3.0 port centos fails on
>> mounting the root filesystem.
>>
>> Any hints on that?
>
> Which version of CentOS? 6.0, 6.1, or 6.2? Which kernel?
>
> USB3 support isn't as robust as it should be, prior to 6.2, but I've not tried booting with USB3.0.

Hi Lamar.

Centos 6.2 x86_64, 2.6.32-220

Got the problem (partialy) solved.

The required xhci_hcd kernel module is not part of the 260 modules in
the initrd for some reason. Sony Memory-Stick is included, if you happen
to have one of these...

I was able to rebuild the initrd plus the xhci_hdc module:

mkinitrd -v --with=xhci_hdc
/boot/initramfs-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6.x86_64.img `uname -r`

Now, how do I tell centos to add the module everytime a new kernel is
installed/updated?
OpenSuse offers a setting called INITRD_MODULES="..." in /etc/sysconfig
which is used by mkinitrd. Is there something similar in Centos?

Regards
....Volker

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
John Doe

From: Volker Poplawski <volker@openbios.org>

> The required xhci_hcd kernel module is not part of the 260 modules in
> the initrd for some reason. Sony Memory-Stick is included, if you happen
> to have one of these...
> I was able to rebuild the initrd plus the xhci_hdc module:
> mkinitrd -v --with=xhci_hdc
> /boot/initramfs-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6.x86_64.img `uname -r`
> Now, how do I tell centos to add the module everytime a new kernel is
> installed/updated?

Isn't mkinitrd looking at /etc/modprobe.conf?
Or is it only limited to fs, ide/scsi and raid modules?

JD

Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Peter Kjellström

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 06.07.03 John Doe wrote:
> From: Volker Poplawski <volker@openbios.org>
>
> > The required xhci_hcd kernel module is not part of the 260 modules in
> > the initrd for some reason. Sony Memory-Stick is included, if you happen
> > to have one of these...
> > I was able to rebuild the initrd plus the xhci_hdc module:
> > mkinitrd -v --with=xhci_hdc
> > /boot/initramfs-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6.x86_64.img `uname -r`
> > Now, how do I tell centos to add the module everytime a new kernel is
> > installed/updated?
>
> Isn't mkinitrd looking at /etc/modprobe.conf?
> Or is it only limited to fs, ide/scsi and raid modules?

Let me try to unconfuse this situation:

1) CentOS-6 does not use initramfstools, mkinitrd is just a thin shell wrapper
on top of dracut

2) dracut by default adds lots of drivers to the initramfs (not only what's
needed, that is, -H is not the default)

3) dracut does not include *hci_hcd modules since ehci, uhci and ohci are
built in, not compiled as modules (this could be considered a bug...).

4) you spelled the driver wrong above, it's xhci_hcd not hdc

To conclude, to build a new initramfs for the current kernel with dracut:

dracut --add-drivers xhci_hcd /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

To make it permanent look at the add_drivers line in /etc/dracut.conf or add a
/etc/dracut.conf.d/...

/Peter

Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Volker Poplawski

On 01.03.2012 09:44, Peter Kjellström wrote:
> Let me try to unconfuse this situation:
>
> 1) CentOS-6 does not use initramfstools, mkinitrd is just a thin shell wrapper
> on top of dracut
>
> 2) dracut by default adds lots of drivers to the initramfs (not only what's
> needed, that is, -H is not the default)
>
> 3) dracut does not include *hci_hcd modules since ehci, uhci and ohci are
> built in, not compiled as modules (this could be considered a bug...).
>
> 4) you spelled the driver wrong above, it's xhci_hcd not hdc
>
> To conclude, to build a new initramfs for the current kernel with dracut:
>
> dracut --add-drivers xhci_hcd /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> To make it permanent look at the add_drivers line in /etc/dracut.conf or add a
> /etc/dracut.conf.d/...
>
> /Peter

I see. Thanks for telling me about dracut, Peter.

Regards
.....Volker