Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Johan Vermeulen

Default LibreOffice rpm's vs Centos testing repo

Dear All,

I thought the advantage from using CentOS-Testing repository would be:
* I then have a Selinux module
* Automatic update with yum update. Although that's maybe not a good idea, because I'd have to leave the Testing-repo enabled.

I tried installing from Libreoffice.org before, but got into trouble when logging in with ssh -X and
then opening LibreOffice.

greetings, J.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
wwp

Hello Johan,

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:02:16 +0100 Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen@cawdekempen.be> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I thought the advantage from using CentOS-Testing repository would be:
> * I then have a Selinux module
> * Automatic update with yum update. Although that's maybe not a good idea, because I'd have to leave the Testing-repo enabled.
>
> I tried installing from Libreoffice.org before, but got into trouble when logging in with ssh -X and
> then opening LibreOffice.

Well, if the packages are available in Testing-repo, I vote for this
solution too, even if I will check-update manually (with --enablerepo
and libreoffice package name). Because there won't be updates too often,
and because I'll let testing-repo disabled here by default.

Regards,

Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Markus Falb

On 27.2.2012 10:10, wwp wrote:
> Hello Johan,
>

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:02:16 +0100 Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen@cawdekempen.be> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I thought the advantage from using CentOS-Testing repository would be:
>> * I then have a Selinux module
>> * Automatic update with yum update. Although that's maybe not a good idea, because I'd have to leave the Testing-repo enabled.
>>
>> I tried installing from Libreoffice.org before, but got into trouble when logging in with ssh -X and
>> then opening LibreOffice.
>
> Well, if the packages are available in Testing-repo, I vote for this
> solution too, even if I will check-update manually (with --enablerepo
> and libreoffice package name). Because there won't be updates too often,
> and because I'll let testing-repo disabled here by default.

You could restrict the testing repo to only libreoffice, see yum.conf(5)
includepkgs=libreoffice
or if there are dependencies needed from testing
includepkgs=libreoffice dep1 dep2 ...

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/27/2012 11:16 AM, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 27.2.2012 10:10, wwp wrote:
>> Hello Johan,
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:02:16 +0100 Johan Vermeulen<jvermeulen@cawdekempen.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I thought the advantage from using CentOS-Testing repository would be:
>>> * I then have a Selinux module
>>> * Automatic update with yum update. Although that's maybe not a good idea, because I'd have to leave the Testing-repo enabled.
>>>
>>> I tried installing from Libreoffice.org before, but got into trouble when logging in with ssh -X and
>>> then opening LibreOffice.
>>
>> Well, if the packages are available in Testing-repo, I vote for this
>> solution too, even if I will check-update manually (with --enablerepo
>> and libreoffice package name). Because there won't be updates too often,
>> and because I'll let testing-repo disabled here by default.
>
> You could restrict the testing repo to only libreoffice, see yum.conf(5)
> includepkgs=libreoffice
> or if there are dependencies needed from testing
> includepkgs=libreoffice dep1 dep2 ...

Those packages do not need to stay in testing repo. All that is
necessary is for several people use packages from testing repo and
report that they are working without issues to the Centos-devel mailing
list in this thread:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-September/008159.html ,
and packages will be moved to Extras repo.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:

> Those packages do not need to stay in testing repo. All that is
> necessary is for several people use packages from testing repo and
> report that they are working without issues to the Centos-devel mailing
> list in this thread:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-September/008159.html ,
> and packages will be moved to Extras repo.

Hi,

Several people have tested this successfully. You can even get slightly
newer packages from here:
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice/el6/x86_64/ that Karanbir hasn't
yet got around to putting in testing (there's a *-release rpm there, too).
I would advise against using libeoffice.org supplied RPMs at this stage as
RHEL are also getting ready to release LO 3.4.5 in EL6 that will (hopefully)
gracefully upgrade my packages.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 05:10:49PM +0000, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:
>

> Several people have tested this successfully. You can even get slightly
> newer packages from here:
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice/el6/x86_64/ that Karanbir hasn't
> yet got around to putting in testing (there's a *-release rpm there, too).
> I would advise against using libeoffice.org supplied RPMs at this stage as
> RHEL are also getting ready to release LO 3.4.5 in EL6 that will (hopefully)
> gracefully upgrade my packages.

Working well for me--if you're the maintainer, then, Thank you.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Do you remember that demon that almost got out the night I
died?
Willow: Every nightmare I have that doesn't revolve around academic
failure or public nudity is about that thing. In fact, once I
dreamt that it attacked me while I was late for a test and naked.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Mon, February 27, 2012 12:10, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:
>
>> Those packages do not need to stay in testing repo. All
>> that is
>> necessary is for several people use packages from
>> testing repo and
>> report that they are working without issues to the
>> Centos-devel mailing
>> list in this thread:
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-September/008159.html
>> ,
>> and packages will be moved to Extras repo.
>
> Hi,
>
> Several people have tested this successfully. You can even
> get slightly
> newer packages from here:
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice/el6/x86_64/ that
> Karanbir hasn't
> yet got around to putting in testing (there's a *-release
> rpm there, too).
> I would advise against using libeoffice.org supplied RPMs
> at this stage as
> RHEL are also getting ready to release LO 3.4.5 in EL6
> that will (hopefully)
> gracefully upgrade my packages.

For what it is worth, I am running LibreOffice 3.5.0
installed from rpms provided by the document foundation
and having no troubles with write or calc. I do not really
use the other parts so on those I cannot comment.

In fact, the experience is far better than I had with
OpenOffice-3.3, which was so bad I went back to the 3.2
version provided with CentOS.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/28/2012 09:42 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, February 27, 2012 12:10, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:
>>
>>> Those packages do not need to stay in testing repo. All
>>> that is
>>> necessary is for several people use packages from
>>> testing repo and
>>> report that they are working without issues to the
>>> Centos-devel mailing
>>> list in this thread:
>>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-September/008159.html
>>> ,
>>> and packages will be moved to Extras repo.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Several people have tested this successfully. You can even
>> get slightly
>> newer packages from here:
>> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice/el6/x86_64/ that
>> Karanbir hasn't
>> yet got around to putting in testing (there's a *-release
>> rpm there, too).
>> I would advise against using libeoffice.org supplied RPMs
>> at this stage as
>> RHEL are also getting ready to release LO 3.4.5 in EL6
>> that will (hopefully)
>> gracefully upgrade my packages.
>>

> For what it is worth, I am running LibreOffice 3.5.0
> installed from rpms provided by the document foundation
> and having no troubles with write or calc. I do not really
> use the other parts so on those I cannot comment.
>
> In fact, the experience is far better than I had with
> OpenOffice-3.3, which was so bad I went back to the 3.2
> version provided with CentOS.

I have been having OpenOffice 3.2 for EL 5.x in my repo since it's
release, by unpacking it in my repo folder, but I think desktop
integration needed some work.

It is much easier to install on several systems from repository. And I
created virtual packages to install localized environment that pulls all
packages I wanted. And update is much simpler from repository, that is
why I am trying to force people to use it that way so we can move it to
regular repository.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:

> I have been having OpenOffice 3.2 for EL 5.x in my repo since it's
> release, by unpacking it in my repo folder, but I think desktop
> integration needed some work.
>
> It is much easier to install on several systems from repository. And I
> created virtual packages to install localized environment that pulls all
> packages I wanted. And update is much simpler from repository, that is
> why I am trying to force people to use it that way so we can move it to
> regular repository.

So Ljubomir, you have unpacked the official rpms and made a repo out of
them? That might work, with a meta-package that would pull in the core
stuff.. Still not very elegant.
I really wish LO people would make a proper repo …
I'll mention this in my letter to Santa this year.

In the meanwhile we're probably going to have LO 3.4.5 in 6.3, so it's nice.
Apparently 3.5.0 was not quite ready for (enteprise) prime time.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 03/05/2012 04:45 PM, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:
>
>> I have been having OpenOffice 3.2 for EL 5.x in my repo since it's
>> release, by unpacking it in my repo folder, but I think desktop
>> integration needed some work.
>>
>> It is much easier to install on several systems from repository. And I
>> created virtual packages to install localized environment that pulls all
>> packages I wanted. And update is much simpler from repository, that is
>> why I am trying to force people to use it that way so we can move it to
>> regular repository.
>
> So Ljubomir, you have unpacked the official rpms and made a repo out of
> them? That might work, with a meta-package that would pull in the core
> stuff.. Still not very elegant.
> I really wish LO people would make a proper repo …
> I'll mention this in my letter to Santa this year.
>
> In the meanwhile we're probably going to have LO 3.4.5 in 6.3, so it's nice.
> Apparently 3.5.0 was not quite ready for (enteprise) prime time.

Yes, I did that around CentOS 5.2 or 5.3, when Openoffice 3.1 came out,
then upgraded to 3.2. I still have them in my repository for EL 5.x.

Main reason was that OpenOffice installer from tar was not working, and
tar for Serbian language was lacking desktop integration for
RHEL/Fedora, so I had to unpack and install via yum/rpm manually using
complicated commands I had to write down to remember, then separately
adding Serbian Language support, and I hated that.

Issuing "yum install ooo3-sr" to install it along with Serbian language
support was much easier

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)