-   -   Is there a way to _remove_ dependencies from an RPM built from source? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/637925-there-way-_remove_-dependencies-rpm-built-source.html)

John Stanley 02-27-2012 02:09 AM

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 02:52 +0100, Michael Lampe wrote:

> To recap: I'm in the middle and still want to build a sensible rpm for
> openmpi with intel:
>
> %define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
> %define __find_requires %{nil}
---
If you did not want any deps then all you had to do was:

%{!?disable_auto_requires: %define disable_auto_requires 0}
%{!?disable_auto_requires: %define disable_auto_requires 1}

in the spec file if you got the srpm from the open-mpi.org site. Which
leads to this being changed.

%if %{disable_auto_requires}
AutoReq: no
%endif

Louis Lagendijk 02-27-2012 04:08 PM

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 21:05 +0100, Michael Lampe wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
> > I totally lost you.
>
> No problem. Play the game of chess like your namesake did so well. :)
>
> > Please provide specifics, what package, is it in rpm
> > or not, details please, so we do not chase out own tails.
>
> Gimme a trick: How to unregister an implicit but formally unavailable
> runtime dependency in a spec file?
>
> It's there at build time and therfore automatically used. Package builds
> fine. But it can only be installed by force, because the implicit
> dependency is explicitly recorded in the RPM. I want to get rid of that,
> because fixing Intel's stuff is not an option.

Would it be be possible to create a dummy rom that requires the
intel-rpm but does provide the dependency?

Michael Lampe 03-01-2012 12:17 AM

Marc Deop wrote:
> On Sunday 26 February 2012 20:39:03 Michael Lampe wrote:
>> So I can build, but the resulting RPM cannot be installed -- if not
>> forced. (No problems then as everything is there.)
>
> Why don't you add the files needed as dependencies to the spec file? (it's one of the beautis of the rpm system over deb)

Duplicate them, or what? They are already there. Only not registered
with rpm. (Intel's compiler comes with several runtime libs, and openmpi
is not a program, but an additional runtime for building one's own
programs.)

The best approximation is to remove the intel deps. Can be done. Other's
did it before, and I did it too. Only I don't even have a borderline
addiction to rpm.

Johnny Hughes 03-02-2012 12:28 PM

On 02/26/2012 12:45 PM, Michael Lampe wrote:
> I'm building my own openmpi packages derived from upstream SRPMs.
>
> Problem: The ones built with Intel's compiler can only be installed by
> force, because Intel doesn't register their provided libs with rpm.
>
> Any idea how this can be done?
>
> (Alternative ideas are appreciated as well -- as long as they don't read
> as: make Intel fix this.)

OK. So the problem is that you have libs on your machine that are not
registered in the RPM database.

If those libs were registered then you are saying that this would solve
your problem?

If so, then all you need to do is to put the info into the database.
The problem here is with the shared libraries being on your machine and
not in the RPM database. That is the issue you need to solve, or you
will have to deal with it on each and every other thing you build.

How were the Intel shared libs installed on your machine? (Via an RPM
or via a manual "configure/make/make install"). If the files were
installed via a make install and not an RPM, the fix is to install them
via an RPM or to create entries for them in the database.

I see that there are RPM files for the intel compiler ... do these not
register in the database?

If you know the names of all the files, you can create an RPM that has
all those files and install it with an "rpm -Uvh --justdb
<rpm-filename>" to not touch the filesystem but to update those files
into the rpm database.

Or, you could actually create a proper RPM for the Intel files and
install them via the RPM.