Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Frank Cox

Default Data consumption (external connections only)

There's a whole herd of ways to count and track the amount of data that goes
through a given network port. However, I'm looking for a user-friendly (and
pretty, if possible) monitor or counter program with the following features:

1. Grand total amount of data in and out since last counter reset.
2. Resettable counters both manual (reset it when you want to) or timed (reset
this thing monthly or weekly, etc.)
3. Breakdown of external and internal traffic volume, by gateway if possible.

Basically, I'm looking for a report with fields or a graph similar to this

Total data transferred since the last reset:
Total data sent:
Total data received:
Total data sent through external gateway 192.168.0.1:
Total data received through external gateway 192.168.0.1:

And so on if the computer has sent data through other gateways if there are
several on a network.

I've found all kinds of counters but none that seem to break out internal
traffic from the external traffic by gateway. Perhaps I'm not looking for the
right thing?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
> There's a whole herd of ways to count and track the amount of data that goes
> through a given network port. *However, I'm looking for a user-friendly (and
> pretty, if possible) monitor or counter program with the following features:
>
> 1. Grand total amount of data in and out since last counter reset.
> 2. Resettable counters both manual (reset it when you want to) or timed (reset
> this thing monthly or weekly, etc.)
> 3. Breakdown of external and internal traffic volume, by gateway if possible.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a report with fields or a graph similar to this
>
> Total data transferred since the last reset:
> Total data sent:
> Total data received:
> Total data sent through external gateway 192.168.0.1:
> Total data received through external gateway 192.168.0.1:
>
> And so on if the computer has sent data through other gateways if there are
> several on a network.
>
> I've found all kinds of counters but none that seem to *break out internal
> traffic from the external traffic by gateway. *Perhaps I'm not looking for the
> right thing?

I don't think there is anything that tracks things routed through a
gateway unless it goes out different interfaces. Do you have
different internal/external interfaces? You should be able to pick
up the counters from the router interfaces via snmp if you want the
totals there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:23:31 -0600
Les Mikesell wrote:

> I don't think there is anything that tracks things routed through a
> gateway unless it goes out different interfaces. Do you have
> different internal/external interfaces? You should be able to pick
> up the counters from the router interfaces via snmp if you want the
> totals there.

I have a small network with two cheap dlink routers on it, one attached to a
cable modem and the other to a DSL modem. I route certain data through the
cable modem, and everything else goes through the DSL.

However, on the computers only have eth0 and I just use route commands on the
individual computers to sort out what I want to go out through each modem. My
default gateway is 192.168.0.254 and I custom route certain traffic through
192.168.0.1.

Ultimately, I have three kinds of traffic that I'm interested in counting from
each computer on my network: internal traffic, from one computer to another
(from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.0.y); external traffic through 192.168.0.254;
external traffic through 192.168.0.254. I would like to look at a report on
each of my computers and find out how much data each one has sent and received
during the period in each of those categories.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

> However, on the computers only have eth0 and I just use route commands on the
> individual computers to sort out what I want to go out through each modem. *My
> default gateway is 192.168.0.254 and I custom route certain traffic through
> 192.168.0.1.
>
> Ultimately, I have three kinds of traffic that I'm interested in counting from
> each computer on my network: internal traffic, from one computer to another
> (from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.0.y); external traffic through 192.168.0.254;
> external traffic through 192.168.0.254. *I would like to look at a report on
> each of my computers and find out how much data each one has sent and received
> during the period in each of those categories.

There is probably some way to do this with iptables, but it doesn't
match any normal tracking. You might try ntop and see if you can find
the MAC/MAC traffic for the computer/router pairs you want, but there
is a lot of overhead for that.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/25/2012 12:34 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:23:31 -0600
> I have a small network with two cheap dlink routers on it, one attached to a
> cable modem and the other to a DSL modem. I route certain data through the
> cable modem, and everything else goes through the DSL.
>
> However, on the computers only have eth0 and I just use route commands on the
> individual computers to sort out what I want to go out through each modem. My
> default gateway is 192.168.0.254 and I custom route certain traffic through
> 192.168.0.1.
>
> Ultimately, I have three kinds of traffic that I'm interested in counting from
> each computer on my network: internal traffic, from one computer to another
> (from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.0.y); external traffic through 192.168.0.254;
> external traffic through 192.168.0.254. I would like to look at a report on
> each of my computers and find out how much data each one has sent and received
> during the period in each of those categories.

Can this help? I think friend of mine wrote it, Nenad Opsenica, some 6-7
years ago, I don't think he will mind:

http://www.plcomputers.net/download/svasta/if-kbps

Use it as "if-kbps eth0" and brake with Ctrl+C.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:11:15 +0100
Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Can this help? I think friend of mine wrote it, Nenad Opsenica, some 6-7
> years ago, I don't think he will mind:
>
> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/svasta/if-kbps
>
> Use it as "if-kbps eth0" and brake with Ctrl+C.

It looks like it does pretty much the same thing as several other monitoring
tools that I've looked at. However, none of them separate local traffic from
external traffic.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

>> Can this help? I think friend of mine wrote it, Nenad Opsenica, some 6-7
>> years ago, I don't think he will mind:
>>
>> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/svasta/if-kbps
>>
>> Use it as "if-kbps eth0" and brake with Ctrl+C.
>
> It looks like it does pretty much the same thing as several other monitoring
> tools that I've looked at. *However, none of them separate local traffic from
> external traffic.

Without separate interfaces there's not much to distinguish your
local/external concepts. Did you try ntop? It basically acts as a
packet sniffer that can group and summarize by a lot of different
categories but there is a lot of overhead in building the database
with all that info.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/26/12 12:21 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> separate local traffic from
> external traffic.

use some iptables rules to select the specific traffic you want to
monitor, and view the packet and byte counts via iptables -L -vn

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/26/2012 09:21 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:11:15 +0100
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> Can this help? I think friend of mine wrote it, Nenad Opsenica, some 6-7
>> years ago, I don't think he will mind:
>>
>> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/svasta/if-kbps
>>
>> Use it as "if-kbps eth0" and brake with Ctrl+C.
>
> It looks like it does pretty much the same thing as several other monitoring
> tools that I've looked at. However, none of them separate local traffic from
> external traffic.

Check out Shorewall, it has some fancy features, including
firewall/router with one interface, but do not know about this one.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:31:29 -0600
Les Mikesell wrote:

> Without separate interfaces there's not much to distinguish your
> local/external concepts.

As I see it, there's probably some way (that I haven't yet discovered) to
separate the traffic by gateway. Or at least some way to distinguish local
traffic from external traffic.

> Did you try ntop? It basically acts as a
> packet sniffer that can group and summarize by a lot of different
> categories but there is a lot of overhead in building the database
> with all that info.

I'll look at it.