Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default CentOS 5.8 Critical Samba Update

There is a critical update for samba for centos-5.8 ... we are working
on CentOS-5.8 right now and I fully expect it to be released in a week
or less. For those of you who can not wait for a week, here is the
samba critical update:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/x8664/critical/

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/i386/critical/

These may or may not work without the rest of 5.8 ... for those who do
try them, please provide feedback here in this thread.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Alain Péan

Hi Johnny,

Le 24/02/2012 01:34, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> There is a critical update for samba for centos-5.8 ... we are working
> on CentOS-5.8 right now and I fully expect it to be released in a week
> or less. For those of you who can not wait for a week, here is the
> samba critical update:
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/x8664/critical/
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/i386/critical/
>
> These may or may not work without the rest of 5.8 ... for those who do
> try them, please provide feedback here in this thread.

I took a look at this announce, see :
http://www.securityhome.eu/mailings/mailing_pdf.php?mid=5086

And it seems to be related only to samba 3.0.33, not samba3x (3.5.6). Am
I correct ?
I switched all my samba installations on 5.7 to samba3x, so it seems I
should not be concerned...

Alain

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/24/2012 05:25 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Hi Johnny,
>
> Le 24/02/2012 01:34, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>> There is a critical update for samba for centos-5.8 ... we are working
>> on CentOS-5.8 right now and I fully expect it to be released in a week
>> or less. For those of you who can not wait for a week, here is the
>> samba critical update:
>>
>> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/x8664/critical/
>>
>> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/c58-samba/i386/critical/
>>
>> These may or may not work without the rest of 5.8 ... for those who do
>> try them, please provide feedback here in this thread.
>>
> I took a look at this announce, see :
> http://www.securityhome.eu/mailings/mailing_pdf.php?mid=5086
>
> And it seems to be related only to samba 3.0.33, not samba3x (3.5.6). Am
> I correct ?
> I switched all my samba installations on 5.7 to samba3x, so it seems I
> should not be concerned...
>
> Alain

Yes, it is only the 3.0.x.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Maxim Shpakov

Hello, what about Centos 5.8 release?
I need kernel release from it. Can I download it from CR ?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 AM
John R Pierce

On 03/05/12 12:57 AM, Maxim Shpakov wrote:
> Hello, what about Centos 5.8 release?
> I need kernel release from it. Can I download it from CR ?

yum update kernel

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Maxim Shpakov

There is no 2.6.18-308 kernel there (

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 03/05/2012 03:25 AM, Maxim Shpakov wrote:
> There is no 2.6.18-308 kernel there (
>
> 2012/3/5 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>:
>> On 03/05/12 12:57 AM, Maxim Shpakov wrote:
>>> Hello, what about Centos 5.8 release?
>>> I need kernel release from it. Can I download it from CR ?
>> yum update kernel

I am populating the CentOS mirrors with the 5.8 release at this time.

We are very close to releasing 5.8, just doing some extended testing,
which I fully expect it to pass based on the fixes rolled in.

I expect that CentOS-5.8 will be released to the external mirrors in
less than 24 hours and released to the 24-48 hours after that.

We did not release the RPMs to CR because we do not expect any delays,
and are indeed releasing within 2 weeks of the upstream release. (If we
were not going to be able to get the release done in 2 weeks due to
complications, then we would instead release the CR repo with the items
that were working.)

So, look for 5.8 to be released in the next 24-72 hours.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes