FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
"fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it"
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

Good Evening,



I have a problem with CentOS 6.2.

On December 2011 I installed CentOS 6.1 on a HP ProLiant DL 165 G7

server.

Recentely I upgraded to CentOS 6.2 but at reboot the system didn't

startup. So I removed new kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6 and CentOS

was again able to startup with original kernel-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64. But

now every two days the system automatically reboots as you can see

below:



reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Wed Feb 22 22:53 - 17:10

(18:16)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Wed Feb 22 20:04 - 17:10

(21:06)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Fri Feb 17 22:55 - 17:10 (5

+18:14)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Fri Feb 17 07:05 - 17:10 (6

+10:04)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Wed Feb 15 15:02 - 17:10 (8

+02:08)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Mon Feb 13 00:33 - 17:10 (10

+16:36)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Sun Feb 12 16:08 - 17:10 (11

+01:02)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Sun Feb 12 15:00 - 17:10 (11

+02:09)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Thu Feb 9 18:06 - 17:10 (13

+23:03)

reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Tue Feb 7 01:22 - 17:10 (16

+15:47)





In log file /var/log/messages there are no particular events happened

before system halt down.

Have you some idea of how I can resolve these problems? Do you think

they are correlated?

Thank you for the attention.

Fabio

E' nata indoona : chiama, videochiama e messaggia Gratis.
Scarica indoona per iPhone, Android e PC

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it wrote:
>
> I have a problem with CentOS 6.2.
>
> On December 2011 I installed CentOS 6.1 on a HP ProLiant DL 165 G7
> server.
>
> Recentely I upgraded to CentOS 6.2 but at reboot the system didn't
> startup. So I removed new kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6 and CentOS

You say the system didn't come up - how far did it get? How did you remove
the newer kernel?

Personally, I'm moving as fast as I can to get *rid* of the 220.2 kernel,
with its constant, irregular crash dumps with traces that all start with
warn_slowpath.

Is the server on a UPS?
>
> was again able to startup with original kernel-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64. But
> now every two days the system automatically reboots as you can see
> below:

Looks to me as though its randomly rebooting several times a day. I'd
seriously wonder about hardware or power problems.
<snip>
mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Tru Huynh
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:35:43PM +0100, fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it wrote:
> Good Evening,
>
...
> reboot system boot 2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Wed Feb 22 22:53 - 17:10
always rebooting at 17:10 ?

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBEFA581B
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Tru Huynh <tru@centos.org> wrote:
>> ...
>>> reboot * system boot *2.6.32-71.el6.x8 Wed Feb 22 22:53 - 17:10
>> always rebooting at 17:10 ?
>>
> Is that when the janitor comes in and plugs his vacuum into the rack
> power outlet?

I was wondering about something like that. A friend mentioned, on another
list, about how some idiot had plugged, um, don't remember, coffee pot?
microwave? into a power outlet that was orange, and labelled "computer
equipment only". After he had to come in (he's a consultant) and $fix$ the
resulting mess, it may have gotten through to the staff.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

On 02/23/2012 04:08 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem with CentOS 6.2.
>>
>> On December 2011 I installed CentOS 6.1 on a HP ProLiant DL 165 G7
>> server.
>>
>> Recentely I upgraded to CentOS 6.2 but at reboot the system didn't
>> startup. So I removed new kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6 and CentOS
>
> You say the system didn't come up - how far did it get? How did you remove
> the newer kernel?
>
> Personally, I'm moving as fast as I can to get *rid* of the 220.2 kernel,
> with its constant, irregular crash dumps with traces that all start with
> warn_slowpath.
>

I am unable to run anything later then
2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64. Booting of 220.4.x just hangs. I
had no time to file a bug report, always something more pressing. But
will do it soon. 220.2.1 runs without a problem for weeks at the time
(always-on desktop).


--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 04:08 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a problem with CentOS 6.2.
>>>
>>> On December 2011 I installed CentOS 6.1 on a HP ProLiant DL 165 G7
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Recentely I upgraded to CentOS 6.2 but at reboot the system didn't
>>> startup. So I removed new kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6 and CentOS
>>
>> You say the system didn't come up - how far did it get? How did you
>> remove the newer kernel?
>>
>> Personally, I'm moving as fast as I can to get *rid* of the 220.2
>> kernel, with its constant, irregular crash dumps with traces that
>> all start with warn_slowpath.
>
> I am unable to run anything later then
> 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64. Booting of 220.4.x just hangs. I
> had no time to file a bug report, always something more pressing. But
> will do it soon. 220.2.1 runs without a problem for weeks at the time
> (always-on desktop).

Out of curiosity, why CentOS plus, and not the std.?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default System reboots automatically more or less every two days

On 02/23/2012 11:32 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> On 02/23/2012 04:08 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> fabio.pugnaghi@tiscali.it wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I have a problem with CentOS 6.2.
>>>>
>>>> On December 2011 I installed CentOS 6.1 on a HP ProLiant DL 165 G7
>>>> server.
>>>>
>>>> Recentely I upgraded to CentOS 6.2 but at reboot the system didn't
>>>> startup. So I removed new kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.4.2.el6 and CentOS
>>>
>>> You say the system didn't come up - how far did it get? How did you
>>> remove the newer kernel?
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm moving as fast as I can to get *rid* of the 220.2
>>> kernel, with its constant, irregular crash dumps with traces that
>>> all start with warn_slowpath.
>>
>> I am unable to run anything later then
>> 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64. Booting of 220.4.x just hangs. I
>> had no time to file a bug report, always something more pressing. But
>> will do it soon. 220.2.1 runs without a problem for weeks at the time
>> (always-on desktop).
>
> Out of curiosity, why CentOS plus, and not the std.?
>
> mark
>

Past experience with 5.x is that additional kernel modules can come in
handy. Also there were always some optimizations or things that are
disabled by the upstream.

Regular 220.4.x kernel was first installed, but no dice with it. Then I
tried 220.4.x centosplus and still no dice.


--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org