Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Marc Deop

Default Please I'd like to install 2 websites on my un managed VPS on CentOS6

On Thursday 23 February 2012 12:25:12 Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> Am I asking stupid questions to get no answers?

They're not stupid, just way too general.

We could answer something like "apache gives me this error: blablabla"

Regards

Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 03:58:10 PM Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> Ok,
> I've made up my mind to dive and learn ... so to learn the right way
> like what professional do ... what shall I do?

First, try not to top post.

Second, download the CentOS 6.2 installation media and install it on your own hardware, reading through the excellent upstream documentation (linked from the www.centos.org website). Read through the CentOS wiki HOWTOs and such. And play around with your system, feeling free to reinstall it (or re-clone it, for a VM) at any time. Live with it to learn it, really.

HowtoForge has some nice articles on setting up servers to do various things; read through a few that use CentOS 6 as the base, and attempt to implement on you testing CentOS server. Then attempt on your VPS.

Expect to spend quite a bit of time on the process; Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is admin experience.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 05:35:32 PM Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> Ok, I've found many versions from it, one for 700 MB and others for a
> DVD, which one I should get?

While I specifically stated the installation media, you should get both the DVD1 and DVD2; specifically, assuming a 32-bit system (you mentioned trying on a Pentium 4 or Pentium D, so 64-bit may not be an option, and isn't really necessary for a 'lab' machine anyway; you do need as much memory as you can cram in that old Optiplex, with an absolute minimu of 1GB (and it's going to top out less than 4GB anyway....)), you need to download, from a mirror:
CentOS-6.2-i386-bin-DVD1.iso
CentOS-6.2-i386-bin-DVD2.iso

While DVD2 is somewhat optional, it won't hurt to have it on hand just in case.

The LiveDVD and LiveCD options boot up to a usable desktop, and you can install from them, but if you're wanting the *server* install experience you need the others, not the LiveDVD or LiveCD.

Now, go give it a whirl, make sure you read the documentation on installation on the CentOS.org website, and come back in a few days when you've played with that installation a while.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Marc Deop

On Friday 24 February 2012 00:17:15 Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> This is a fortune !
> Sure you deserve but it i s beyond my ability.
> But thanks for offering

By the love of God, haven't you noticed that everybody is writing *below* your emails?

Please, do not top-post (as you've been already told).

Anyway... good luck with your webserver!

Regards

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 07:25:09 PM Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 02/24/2012 12:25 PM, Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> > Is it advised to install on a virtual machine like vmware or a real
> > computer?
> If you are going to use CentOS 6 - as a VM host it must be installed on
> a 64 bit architecture!

I think he was asking more about a guest install rather than a host.

I'd echo the comment Les made and recommend to the OP to 'try both.' Virtual installs and physical installs are a tad different, but virtual has some distinct advantages, especially in terms of quick cloning, snapshotting with rollback capabilities for testing, etc. But virtualization brings with it another layer; and I would go as far as saying that, once you've gotten some experience, and if you have 64-bit hardware at your disposal, that you might want to attempt duplicating your hosted VPS environment completely, on you own 'host' as then you can test with the exact configuration you're using in production. That would mean the same VPS packages, the same 'guest' install options, and the same host OS packages.

But before throwing so many new layers in the mix try I'd recommend to the OP to get familiar with it one layer at a time; too many layers at once can be very confusing if you don't know enough to separate the effects of each layer.