Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default Please I'd like to install 2 websites on my un managed VPS on CentOS6

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Wuxi Ixuw <w7u64xi7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I asking stupid questions to get no answers?
>
> On 23/02/2012 09:42 AM, Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
>> Hello
>> I've got an un managed VPS running CentOS6
>> I'd like to install 2 websites and secure the whole VPS
>> I've tried tutorials from the how to forge website but things keep
>> screwing all the time.
>> Please if any one can help or give a good working tutorials that would
>> be awesome.
>> Thanks a lot
>> WI,

It would help if you're a LOT more specific asto what you've tried
and what doesn't work.
--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
Fax: 086 268 8492

Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Wuxi Ixuw

Actually I am looking for a tutorial or a guide to follow as I am really
newbie to this world.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Wuxi Ixuw

I am afraid if I get hacked and do not know what should i do to setup
the whole vps the right way.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/23/12 5:19 AM, Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
> I am afraid if I get hacked and do not know what should i do to setup
> the whole vps the right way.

there is no single 'right way'. security requires a thorough
understanding of all aspects of the system, this is not something that
can be dealt with by a 'how to' walkthrough. hire a systems
adminstrator with a background in security.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 02/23/12 5:19 AM, Wuxi Ixuw wrote:
>> I am afraid if I get hacked and do not know what should i do to setup
>> the whole vps the right way.
>
> there is no single 'right way'. security requires a thorough
> understanding of all aspects of the system, this is not something that
> can be dealt with by a 'how to' walkthrough. hire a systems
> adminstrator with a background in security.

Or, since it's a VPS, call your ISP's support line and ask them.

mark

Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Wuxi Ixuw <w7u64xi7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am afraid if I get hacked and do not know what should i do to setup
> the whole vps the right way.

There are many large books on the subject. If you don't want to spend
your life staying ahead of the game:
Use popular software
Don't change defaults you don't understand
Keep it up to date
Use good passwords

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Wuxi Ixuw

Please suggest a one as I am keep goggling and all result bring books
dealing with linux as a real server and not a vps.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Wuxi Ixuw

I did and they asked for a 150 usd per hour ... and I do not have that
money and each time I am asking for a thing I will need to pay again and
counting.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Wuxi Ixuw

I am not using cent os for my daily computing tasks at home or work but
just for the vps hosting website.
you mean to use web control panel back end or you mean another issue?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Wuxi Ixuw <w7u64xi7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please suggest a one as I am keep goggling and all result bring books
> dealing with linux as a real server and not a vps.

The difference is only in how much the hosting system forces you to
use certain images and versions, which will likely vary with the
vendor. Books on security are always out of date anyway. The system
security business is very specialized - plan on spending a lot of
either time or money if you are going to do anything out of the
ordinary. But, unless you have something unique and valuable to
attack, you mostly have to worry about known exploits on the platform
you use, and the main thing you can do about it is to keep your
software updated so you get the fixes as soon as they are available.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com