Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default partitioning with fdisk

CentOS-6.2

I created a new VirtIO disk for one of my virtual
machines. Previous experience has taught me that I need to
partition it before attempting to add the new storage to
the physical volume set of the intended guest.

Up to now I have simply accepted the defaults given by
fdisk after telling it that I want a new partition. The
defaults always exclude the first 2048 sectors.

Disk /dev/vg_vhost01/lv_vm_inet09.harte-lyne.ca_01: 33.6
GB, 33554432000 bytes
109 heads, 61 sectors/track, 9856 cylinders, total
65536000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2b33a3c9

Device Boot
Start End
Blocks Id
System
/dev/vg_vhost01/lv_vm_inet09.harte-lyne.ca_01p1
2048 65535999 32766976 83 Linux

Why? Is this space reserved for a boot partition? For my
purposes can I simply use sector 0 to max sector size and
override the default values provided by fdisk?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241