Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Where did my Skype icon go?

CentOS-5.7
Skype 2.1.0.81beta

Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop. Now it
does not. I must have moved or modified something on the
Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
recall what that might have been. It certainly was not a
conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
back.

The absence is not merely cosmetic. Without that icon
once I close the Skype dialog window I know of no other
way to activate a desktop dialog window with the running
Skype instance. Running Skype again gives the warning
that another instance is already running and then quits.

A clue to what has happened might be when Skype is in this
state incoming notices pop-up from the right hand side of
the lower (switcher) menu bar immediately to the left of
the work space display. But there is no way to get Skype
to open.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to get this back?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:30:55 -0500
James B. Byrne wrote:

> Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
> appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop. Now it
> does not. I must have moved or modified something on the
> Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
> recall what that might have been. It certainly was not a
> conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
> back.

You probably deleted the Notification Area on your panel. Add it back.

To prevent just exactly these sorts of problems, I install gconf-editor on all
of my computers and lock the panel by running gconf-editor and setting
apps-panel-global-locked_down to true.

If you need to change the panel again in the future, just set that value back
to false, make your change, and lock it again.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/21/2012 10:45 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:30:55 -0500
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>
>> Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
>> appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop. Now it
>> does not. I must have moved or modified something on the
>> Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
>> recall what that might have been. It certainly was not a
>> conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
>> back.
>
> You probably deleted the Notification Area on your panel. Add it back.
>
> To prevent just exactly these sorts of problems, I install gconf-editor on all
> of my computers and lock the panel by running gconf-editor and setting
> apps-panel-global-locked_down to true.
>
> If you need to change the panel again in the future, just set that value back
> to false, make your change, and lock it again.

Another possibility is that he disabled Skype in System -> Preferences
-> Startup Applications.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 02/21/2012 05:08 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 10:45 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:30:55 -0500
>> James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>>> Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
>>> appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop. Now it
>>> does not. I must have moved or modified something on the
>>> Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
>>> recall what that might have been. It certainly was not a
>>> conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
>>> back.
>>
>> You probably deleted the Notification Area on your panel. Add it back.
>>
>> To prevent just exactly these sorts of problems, I install gconf-editor on all
>> of my computers and lock the panel by running gconf-editor and setting
>> apps-panel-global-locked_down to true.
>>
>> If you need to change the panel again in the future, just set that value back
>> to false, make your change, and lock it again.
>>

> Another possibility is that he disabled Skype in System -> Preferences
> -> Startup Applications.

That's not possible if the OP can start a new instance. The OP stated:

The absence is not merely cosmetic. Without that icon
once I close the Skype dialog window I know of no other
way to activate a desktop dialog window with the running
Skype instance. Running Skype again gives the warning
that another instance is already running and then quits.

--
_
/(_)

Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/22/2012 01:41 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:

>> Another possibility is that he disabled Skype in System -> Preferences
>> -> Startup Applications.
>>
> That's not possible if the OP can start a new instance. The OP stated:
>
> The absence is not merely cosmetic. Without that icon
> once I close the Skype dialog window I know of no other
> way to activate a desktop dialog window with the running
> Skype instance. Running Skype again gives the warning
> that another instance is already running and then quits.

Yeah, I read the rest of OP's mail just after I send my mail
I was in a stupid hurry.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)