Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Default firefox and IronPort

A couple of weeks ago, I got an autogenerated email from the mail folks
here, telling me they'd quarantined what they thought was spam. The last
time I got one of these was a month or month and a half ago, and I had no
problem.

This time, however, I get a 500 error. When I pulled up firefox's error
console, and clicked on the link, I got
<servername elided>: server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

I'm told they're running Cisco's IronPort. It appears the patch came out a
year and a half or so ago. However, I also found a post where someone,
apparently running on Windows, couldn't get to a site they needed to,
either with IE 9 or FF10.somethingorother, until they downgraded.

The support folks report they can get there, from Windows boxes.

I've tried Mozilla's workarounds, in about:config, but no joy. My ff is up
to date, including both patches from last week, and as those were
critical, I'm very loathe to downgrade.

a) Is anyone else seeing this?
b) Any thoughts on whether it's an IronPort issue, or whether it might be
a bug (new or reintroduced) browser problem?

mark

Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Tris Hoar

On 21/02/2012 15:58, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, I got an autogenerated email from the mail folks
> here, telling me they'd quarantined what they thought was spam. The last
> time I got one of these was a month or month and a half ago, and I had no
> problem.
>
> This time, however, I get a 500 error. When I pulled up firefox's error
> console, and clicked on the link, I got
> <servername elided>: server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555
>
> I'm told they're running Cisco's IronPort. It appears the patch came out a
> year and a half or so ago. However, I also found a post where someone,
> apparently running on Windows, couldn't get to a site they needed to,
> either with IE 9 or FF10.somethingorother, until they downgraded.
>
> The support folks report they can get there, from Windows boxes.
>
> I've tried Mozilla's workarounds, in about:config, but no joy. My ff is up
> to date, including both patches from last week, and as those were
> critical, I'm very loathe to downgrade.
>
> a) Is anyone else seeing this?
> b) Any thoughts on whether it's an IronPort issue, or whether it might be
> a bug (new or reintroduced) browser problem?

From my experiences with IronPort (admittedly from 3 years ago) I'd say
blame that. The software is horribly buggy at best.

Tris

> mark

> ************************************************** ***********
> This message has been checked for viruses by the
> Birmingham Grid for Learning. For guidance on good
> e-mail practice, e-mail viruses and hoaxes please visit:
> http://www.bgfl.org/emailaup
> ************************************************** ***********

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster@bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation

Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Tris Hoar wrote:
> On 21/02/2012 15:58, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> A couple of weeks ago, I got an autogenerated email from the mail folks
>> here, telling me they'd quarantined what they thought was spam. The last
>> time I got one of these was a month or month and a half ago, and I had
>> no problem.
>>
>> This time, however, I get a 500 error. When I pulled up firefox's error
>> console, and clicked on the link, I got <servername elided>: server
>> does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555
>>
>> I'm told they're running Cisco's IronPort. It appears the patch came out
<snip>
>> The support folks report they can get there, from Windows boxes.
<snip>
>> a) Is anyone else seeing this?
>> b) Any thoughts on whether it's an IronPort issue, or whether it might
>> be a bug (new or reintroduced) browser problem?
>
> From my experiences with IronPort (admittedly from 3 years ago) I'd say
> blame that. The software is horribly buggy at best.

Wonderful. I still have to deal with it; I mean, the thought that I might
influence them to dump it... lol.

mark