Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM
John Doe

Default Any experience with eSATA and port multiplier...?

Hey,

just bought an eSATA/USB dual drive docking station and my CentOS 5 can only see one drive at a time...
Any one knows if there are specific parameters to set somewhere?
Or do I need a more recent kernel (like upgrading to CentOS 6?)

The docking is a Sharkoon Quickport Duo v2 + 2 drives + 1 eSATA cable...
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-quickport-duo-v2
The eSATA controller is an HighPpoint PciE 2 ports combo eSATA/USB with (supposedly) port-multiplier support
Apparently based on an Silicon image Sil 3132
Seems like the port multiplier part does not work correctly...

kernel: ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 10)
kernel: ata7.15: Port Multiplier 1.1, 0x197b:0x2352 r0, 2 ports, feat 0x0/0x0
kernel: ata7.15: Asynchronous notification not supported, hotplug won't
kernel:********* work on fan-out ports. Use warm-plug instead.
kernel: ata7.00: hard resetting link

The logs are full of "hard resetting link", "softreset failed" and other "failed to reset PMP, giving up"

I did not try to reboot yet...* Would be a pain to have to reboot every time I need to plug drives.* :/

I am not the only one...
He has a kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7 and it still fails so I am wondering if upgrading to CentOS 6.x would help at all...

Thx,
JD

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Gary Greene

On 2/17/12 3:47 AM, "John Doe" <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>just bought an eSATA/USB dual drive docking station and my CentOS 5 can
>only see one drive at a time...
>Any one knows if there are specific parameters to set somewhere?
>Or do I need a more recent kernel (like upgrading to CentOS 6?)
>
>The docking is a Sharkoon Quickport Duo v2 + 2 drives + 1 eSATA cable...
>http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-quickport-duo-v2
>The eSATA controller is an HighPpoint PciE 2 ports combo eSATA/USB with
>(supposedly) port-multiplier support
>Apparently based on an Silicon image Sil 3132
>Seems like the port multiplier part does not work correctly...
>
>kernel: ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 10)
>kernel: ata7.15: Port Multiplier 1.1, 0x197b:0x2352 r0, 2 ports, feat
>0x0/0x0
>kernel: ata7.15: Asynchronous notification not supported, hotplug won't
>kernel: work on fan-out ports. Use warm-plug instead.
>kernel: ata7.00: hard resetting link
>
>The logs are full of "hard resetting link", "softreset failed" and other
>"failed to reset PMP, giving up"
>

>I did not try to reboot yet... Would be a pain to have to reboot every
>time I need to plug drives. :/
>

>I am not the only one...
>He has a kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7 and it still fails so I am wondering if
>upgrading to CentOS 6.x would help at all...

To make this work, the module for the chipset for the SATA controller that
the device uses must support Port Multiplier options. Unfortunately, from
my experience, not many SATA drivers in the Linux kernel actually support
PMP properly or reliably. I've a server at home using this for storage of
video data which is using an SiS chipset which works well after going
through two manufacturers which did not.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sr. Systems Administrator

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Devin Reade

--On Friday, February 17, 2012 07:03:57 PM +0000 Gary Greene
<ggreene@minervanetworks.com> wrote:

> On 2/17/12 3:47 AM, "John Doe" <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> just bought an eSATA/USB dual drive docking station and my CentOS 5 can
>> only see one drive at a time...
>> Any one knows if there are specific parameters to set somewhere?
>> Or do I need a more recent kernel (like upgrading to CentOS 6?)

> To make this work, the module for the chipset for the SATA controller that
> the device uses must support Port Multiplier options. Unfortunately, from
> my experience, not many SATA drivers in the Linux kernel actually support
> PMP properly or reliably.

I have no experience with these, but I was noticing this review
earlier on a device that is reported to work well with linux:

<http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-v7AGE420-ES-Trayless-External-Enclosure/product-reviews/B001LDMHFQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/185-1350060-5210125?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1>

Unfortunately the review doesn't mention Linux distro or version.

I realize that probably doesn't help the OP, given that he already
bought his hardware, but maybe it will help someone else.

[If you're looking at this message in the archive and the above
link is dead, the short version is that the iStar USA model
v7AGE420-ES 4 bay chassis is reported to work well]

Devin

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
John Doe

Tried to reboot...
Tried on another PC with CentOS 6...
Tried on my Windows 7 laptop (while it certainly does not support port multiplier, even with one disk it would take a long time to appear, once, and never appear again)...
I am returning the docking station... and will get 2 single drive dockings instead, since my card has 2 eSATA connectors anyway...

JD