Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
fred smith

Default -- anyone else having flash trouble?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 08:25 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > fred smith wrote:

> > <snip>
> >> Yes, I'm using the nvidia driver bundle from Nvidia's web site. but
> >> then I ALWAYS have been (this machine is something like 3 years old).
> >> However, I did update it recently, I'll have to see if I can figure
> >> out exactly when that was (less than a week...), and maybe reinstall
> >> the one I had previously.
> > Strong recommendation: enable elrepo, at least for kmod-nvidia and
> > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia. That way, when you update, it will autoupdate and
> > autorebuild for you. I've just started moving that was for my people (and
> > me) who have nvidia (esp old nvidia) cards.
>
> I echo this recommendation.
>
> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but since
> I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using elrepo's rpms
> for nvidia with no issues.
>
> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of the c4
> and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience that elrepo
> provides. I highly recommend the elrepo site for anything that they
> currently maintain, they do a great job.

without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.

the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest one I had
(the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.

of course, that doesn't say it's an nvidia bug, it may well be a flash
problem. time will tell, perhaps.

thanks for the advise to all of you!

Fred

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM, fred smith
<fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but since
>> I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using elrepo's rpms
>> for nvidia with no issues.
>>
>> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of the c4
>> and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience that elrepo
>> provides. *I highly recommend the elrepo site for anything that they
>> currently maintain, they do a great job.
>
> without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
> from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
> the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.
>
> the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest one I had
> (the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.

Now that you know which version of the Nvidia driver to use, it is
time to switch to ELRepo. :-) Otherwise you have to keep
re-installing it for each kernel update. You can see here (for
example):

http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/

that ELRepo maintains earlier versions of the driver. Install the one
you want, and exclude it in yum.conf so that the "good" one stays on
your system.

Akemi

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Jake Shipton

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:09:08 -0800
Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM, fred smith
> <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but
> >> since I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using
> >> elrepo's rpms for nvidia with no issues.
> >>
> >> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of
> >> the c4 and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience
> >> that elrepo provides. *I highly recommend the elrepo site for
> >> anything that they currently maintain, they do a great job.
> >
> > without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
> > from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
> > the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.
> >
> > the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest
> > one I had (the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.
>
> Now that you know which version of the Nvidia driver to use, it is
> time to switch to ELRepo. :-) Otherwise you have to keep
> re-installing it for each kernel update. You can see here (for
> example):
>
> http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/
>
> that ELRepo maintains earlier versions of the driver. Install the one
> you want, and exclude it in yum.conf so that the "good" one stays on
> your system.
>
> Akemi

Glad to hear Fred fixed his issue :-).

Just for the record, I too manually install Nvidia drivers without a
repo on all my machines (Both CentOS & Fedora). This issue can be
triggered by xorg updates etc. It can be a bit of a pain having to
reinstall the drivers manually, but for me I always run into some weird
problem or other with the repository versions. So I just keep a good
version of the driver at "/nv.run" and run it after each xorg or kernel
update :-). But that is my personal preference.

But if you do not get problems with the RPM versions I would recommend
you get them :-).

- --
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F