Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Jake Shipton

Default anyone else having flash trouble?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
fred smith

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:50:11AM +0000, Jake Shipton wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:36:14 -0500
> fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> > On my centos 5.7 system, using Firefox 10.1, suddenly flash videos
> > have stopped working, like, today. they worked yesterday. Now all I
> > get is an error message that the flash plugin has crashed, reload
> > page and try again.
> >
> > strangely, my centos-6 machine using the same firefox and the same
> > flash plugin works fine.
> >
> > Clues?
> >

> Hi there,
>
> I had a similar issue to this a while back on a Fedora box, I found out
> it was not flash plugin or firefox causing the issue, it turned out
> that it was the proprietary Nvidia driver that I was using. So if you
> are using Nvidia driver, it might be worth looking into. My issue was
> resolved by updating the driver.
>
> Your issue may be different, but I thought I would mention it just in
> case :-).

Yes, I'm using the nvidia driver bundle from Nvidia's web site. but
then I ALWAYS have been (this machine is something like 3 years old).
However, I did update it recently, I'll have to see if I can figure
out exactly when that was (less than a week...), and maybe reinstall
the one I had previously.

thanks for the hint!

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM

fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:50:11AM +0000, Jake Shipton wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:36:14 -0500
>> fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>>
>> > On my centos 5.7 system, using Firefox 10.1, suddenly flash videos
>> > have stopped working, like, today. they worked yesterday. Now all I
>> > get is an error message that the flash plugin has crashed, reload
>> > page and try again.
<snip>
> Yes, I'm using the nvidia driver bundle from Nvidia's web site. but
> then I ALWAYS have been (this machine is something like 3 years old).
> However, I did update it recently, I'll have to see if I can figure
> out exactly when that was (less than a week...), and maybe reinstall
> the one I had previously.

Strong recommendation: enable elrepo, at least for kmod-nvidia and
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia. That way, when you update, it will autoupdate and
autorebuild for you. I've just started moving that was for my people (and
me) who have nvidia (esp old nvidia) cards.

mark

Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/16/2012 08:25 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:50:11AM +0000, Jake Shipton wrote:

> <snip>
>> Yes, I'm using the nvidia driver bundle from Nvidia's web site. but
>> then I ALWAYS have been (this machine is something like 3 years old).
>> However, I did update it recently, I'll have to see if I can figure
>> out exactly when that was (less than a week...), and maybe reinstall
>> the one I had previously.
> Strong recommendation: enable elrepo, at least for kmod-nvidia and
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia. That way, when you update, it will autoupdate and
> autorebuild for you. I've just started moving that was for my people (and
> me) who have nvidia (esp old nvidia) cards.

I echo this recommendation.

I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but since
I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using elrepo's rpms
for nvidia with no issues.

I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of the c4
and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience that elrepo
provides. I highly recommend the elrepo site for anything that they
currently maintain, they do a great job.