Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Craig Thompson

Default question on unused directories in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64

I was working on archiving an old virtual server today and was reminded of how much space is wasted by some of the default installations on CentOS. I think this was a 5.x box.

Anyway, in /usr/lib/64 (and probably /usr/lib on non-64 systems), there were a lot of directories which have no bearing on a basic server. I saw firefox, openoffice and many, many other directories -- replete with enough files to seriously affect backup space over time.

Does anyone have an available script or list of commands for removing most or all of these "generally unused" directories, packages or whatever they are?

I found something a while back for shutting off unused services, but this seems to be a gaping hole in available archives.

Thanks.

CT

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Benjamin Hackl

Dear Craig,

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:58:40 -0500
Craig Thompson <cthompson@loganthompsonlaw.com> wrote:

> My goal is to develop my own list, put it in a basic shell script and
> remove them wholesale. I've done this for generally unused services
> which I run upon installation of a basic system, and it works well.

Why don't you go the other way around: Create a kickstart file with
only the exact packages you need?

E.g.
-- snip --

%packages --excludedocs --nobase
screen
vim-enhanced
wget
postfix
vixie-cron

Above example will give you a minimal system with 5 extra packages. You
can do a lot more with kickstart. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart for full documentation.

Brgds

--