Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Steve Campbell

Default Dovecot problems

Actually, I'm having problems with pop and imap.

I changed mailservers this weekend, going from a Centos 3 box to a
Centos 6 box. The Centos 3 box used the old standard imap and pop
servers. We use horde for our webmail. The pop3 mailboxes (mbox) were
in /var/spool/mail and the imap folders were in /home/user/mail, which
horde took care of.

Upon starting the Centos 6 box, I ran into tons of login and viewing
problems. I tried Cyrus for imap, could log in, but couldn't see mail in
the imap folders. Using dovecot for pop, I eventually could get logged
in, but kept getting the "couldn't open INBOX" message, so no one could
download their email, even though sendmail was delivering it properly.

So here's my question:

Can (should) dovecot be used for both imap and pop when considering the
above setup of mbox in /var/spool/mail and imap folders in ~/mail? Horde
will read the mbox to display new messages in it's screens.

If so, does anyone have a pretty good link to how to make dovecot
function using the old Centos pop/imap scheme? Should I try and convert
the old mbox files to another format or destination to make this work?

Thanks for any help. It's been a long night, going on about 14 hours now
and I'm just getting the old server back to current until I figure this out.

steve campbell

Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/12/12 11:01 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Can (should) dovecot be used for both imap and pop when considering the
> above setup of mbox in /var/spool/mail and imap folders in ~/mail? Horde
> will read the mbox to display new messages in it's screens.

mixing pop and imap is contradictory. pop clients move the messages to
a local store, clearing them from the server. imap clients maintain the
message folders on the server. pick one, stick with it.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 12.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Steve Campbell:
> Actually, I'm having problems with pop and imap.
>
> I changed mailservers this weekend, going from a Centos 3 box to a
> Centos 6 box. The Centos 3 box used the old standard imap and pop
> servers. We use horde for our webmail. The pop3 mailboxes (mbox) were
> in /var/spool/mail and the imap folders were in /home/user/mail, which
> horde took care of.

So 2 classes of users? As John has annotated, mixing POP3 and IMP4 use
is not advised at all.

> Upon starting the Centos 6 box, I ran into tons of login and viewing
> problems. I tried Cyrus for imap, could log in, but couldn't see mail in
> the imap folders. Using dovecot for pop, I eventually could get logged
> in, but kept getting the "couldn't open INBOX" message, so no one could
> download their email, even though sendmail was delivering it properly.

Cyrus-IMAPd is out of the game unless you do a real mail store migration
as Cyrus-IMAPd uses his own storage scheme.

> So here's my question:
>
> Can (should) dovecot be used for both imap and pop when considering the
> above setup of mbox in /var/spool/mail and imap folders in ~/mail? Horde
> will read the mbox to display new messages in it's screens.

Yes.

See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

> Thanks for any help. It's been a long night, going on about 14 hours now
> and I'm just getting the old server back to current until I figure this out.

Not intended to sound smart ass, but changing a production system the
way you do without prior testing isn't that clever.

> steve campbell

I wish you success.

Alexander

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Steve Campbell

On 2/12/2012 2:09 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 12.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Steve Campbell:
>> Actually, I'm having problems with pop and imap.
>>
>> I changed mailservers this weekend, going from a Centos 3 box to a
>> Centos 6 box. The Centos 3 box used the old standard imap and pop
>> servers. We use horde for our webmail. The pop3 mailboxes (mbox) were
>> in /var/spool/mail and the imap folders were in /home/user/mail, which
>> horde took care of.
> So 2 classes of users? As John has annotated, mixing POP3 and IMP4 use
> is not advised at all.

Not really two classes of users. Most of the users use pop for
retrieving email. Horde is our webmail app, and it reads the mailbox,
but creates and manages the imap folders in user's home directory. This
has worked fine in the past, allowing users to read mail from their
desktop using pop, and if desired, using horde to read mail from
elsewhere. If they want to be able to see read email from outside the
building, they set their mail client to "leave on server". Horde takes
care of deleting email from the mbox as well if desired.

>> Upon starting the Centos 6 box, I ran into tons of login and viewing
>> problems. I tried Cyrus for imap, could log in, but couldn't see mail in
>> the imap folders. Using dovecot for pop, I eventually could get logged
>> in, but kept getting the "couldn't open INBOX" message, so no one could
>> download their email, even though sendmail was delivering it properly.
> Cyrus-IMAPd is out of the game unless you do a real mail store migration
> as Cyrus-IMAPd uses his own storage scheme.

My preference is to use dovecot as both pop and imap servers. The Centos
3 imap server used an rpm named imap-2002d-12 (at least that's the one I
have on that server). I'm not sure how "mixing" comes into play here,
since most people set their smart phones up as imap clients, and they
can still view their email when they arrive at work using pop.

>> So here's my question:
>>
>> Can (should) dovecot be used for both imap and pop when considering the
>> above setup of mbox in /var/spool/mail and imap folders in ~/mail? Horde
>> will read the mbox to display new messages in it's screens.
> Yes.
That's good to get an opinion. I'm going to proceed thinking dovecot
will do both. There's also an issue to address later of shared stuff
I'll have to investigate. We have a few accounts that multiple users use
in this manner through imap. They log in as a singular user, but there
are issues of deletions and the like that sometimes cause problems.

>> If so, does anyone have a pretty good link to how to make dovecot
>> function using the old Centos pop/imap scheme? Should I try and convert
>> the old mbox files to another format or destination to make this work?
> See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

I reviewed that quite a bit during the night. I guess I need to read up
on dovecot's definitions, since that INBOX parameter kept throwing me.
There really isn't an INBOX to a pop account's mbox, but there is on our
imap scheme. So I might have been trying to force the issue.

>> Thanks for any help. It's been a long night, going on about 14 hours now
>> and I'm just getting the old server back to current until I figure this out.
> Not intended to sound smart ass, but changing a production system the
> way you do without prior testing isn't that clever.

Not taken in any bad way. I had actually tested it pretty well for all
the stuff I'm running on it. Sendmail worked as expected. All of the
other apps I have running dealing with email worked fine as well. Apps
such as MimeDefang, MailScanner, MailWatch, and everything else. I took
for granted that pop and imap would work fine since on the old system,
they just worked. I had no idea these services had changed so much. So
yes, I failed to test the two things that users want most. Egg on my
face, for sure.

Thanks for the help, and criticism.

>> steve campbell
> I wish you success.
Thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Peter Peltonen

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Steve Campbell <campbell@cnpapers.com> wrote:
>>> If so, does anyone have a pretty good link to how to make dovecot
>>> function using the old Centos pop/imap scheme? Should I try and convert
>>> the old mbox files to another format or destination to make this work?
>> See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation
>
> I reviewed that quite a bit during the night. I guess I need to read up
> on dovecot's definitions, since that INBOX parameter kept throwing me.
> There really isn't an INBOX to a pop account's mbox, but there is on our
> imap scheme. So I might have been trying to force the issue.

I would recommend using Maildir format instead of mbox format. Maildir
seems to be the default for most IMAP servers these days.

At least for me Horde + Dovecot (using Maildirs) works nicely.

If you cannot get your setup working I would also recommend posting
your problem in the Dovecot emailing list, which I've heard being
active and helpful.

Best,
Peter

Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Peter Peltonen
<peter.peltonen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I reviewed that quite a bit during the night. I guess I need to read up
>> on dovecot's definitions, since that INBOX parameter kept throwing me.
>> There really isn't an INBOX to a pop account's mbox, but there is on our
>> imap scheme. So I might have been trying to force the issue.
>
> I would recommend using Maildir format instead of mbox format. Maildir
> seems to be the default for most IMAP servers these days.

Yes, I think dovecot will show INBOX and other folders with imap. if
you connect with pop it will only show the contents of INBOX, but from
the same INBOX that imap would use, so delivery to Maildir should work
for everyone.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
anax

did you try

doveconf -n -c dovecot.old.conf > dovecot.new.conf

we also use dovecot for POP as well as IMAP. we are using the maildir
storage for mails (one file per one mail). no problem sofar (touch wood).

suomi

Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Scott Silva

on 2/13/2012 4:35 AM Steve Campbell spake the following:

> [...]
> imap scheme. So I might have been trying to force the issue.
>>
>>> Thanks for any help. It's been a long night, going on about 14 hours now
>>> and I'm just getting the old server back to current until I figure this out.
>> Not intended to sound smart ass, but changing a production system the
>> way you do without prior testing isn't that clever.
>
> Not taken in any bad way. I had actually tested it pretty well for all
> the stuff I'm running on it. Sendmail worked as expected. All of the
> other apps I have running dealing with email worked fine as well. Apps
> such as MimeDefang, MailScanner, MailWatch, and everything else. I took
> for granted that pop and imap would work fine since on the old system,
> they just worked. I had no idea these services had changed so much. So
> yes, I failed to test the two things that users want most. Egg on my

Steve,
I know I'm late to the party, but you are saying your old server was running
UWimap ( by the statement of imap-2002d-12)?
If so, there is a little bit of work to do in converting old mail if you
brought it forward... http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/UW

Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Steve Campbell

Never too late for information.

Here's the situation as it stands. The original server is a Centos 3
box, and the new server is a Centos 6 box. They are separate boxes and I
can move mail back and forth between the without losing any email (so far).

I've got pop3 and imap logging in, but only retrieving pop email, etc.
on the new box. The INBOX points to where sendmail deposits it. My
config right now stands at:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
protocols = pop3 imap

By switching my test account from pop to imap, I can't get emails. I'm
not sure if the info in your link is pertinent yet. But now I'm
wondering if I need Namespaces configured.

Both pop and imap use the same INBOX (/var/spool/mail/%u) but imap
doesn't seem to honor the above "mail_location). So for now, I'm reading
a lot more trying to discover how things aren't working.

Thanks
steve

Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell@cnpapers.com>wrote:

> Never too late for information.
>
> Here's the situation as it stands. The original server is a Centos 3
> box, and the new server is a Centos 6 box. They are separate boxes and I
> can move mail back and forth between the without losing any email (so
> far).
>
> I've got pop3 and imap logging in, but only retrieving pop email, etc.
> on the new box. The INBOX points to where sendmail deposits it. My
> config right now stands at:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> protocols = pop3 imap
>
> By switching my test account from pop to imap, I can't get emails. I'm
> not sure if the info in your link is pertinent yet. But now I'm
> wondering if I need Namespaces configured.
>
> Both pop and imap use the same INBOX (/var/spool/mail/%u) but imap
> doesn't seem to honor the above "mail_location). So for now, I'm reading
> a lot more trying to discover how things aren't working.

I think the uw server had a magic mode where the imap side would merge new
stuff in mbox format in /var/spool/mail/user with wherever it stored the
imap inbox. With dovecot you'll need to deliver to maildir in the first
place and it will see the same thing on pop and imap connections (but only
show what it considers the inbox to pop connections).

If you need to convert formats or copy between machines, there is a program
called imapsync that will connect as a client to two imap servers and sync
the folder structure. You could probably also switch to cyrus if you use
that to do the copy.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com