Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Matt

Default Perl Libraries

Having troubles with perl libraries. Does everyone use yum to install
perl modules on CentOS 5.x? I have installed the rpmforge repository.
I am having terrible luck with installing libraries though. Needed
Mechanize for one script but had all sorts of conflicts. Ended up
installing mechanize manually from rpm and adding it to yum exclude.
Right now I am trying to get Net::SSH::Perl installed and run this
script:

http://www.perlhowto.com/execute_commands_on_remote_machines_using_ssh

Would think it would be as simple as 'yum install perl-Net-OpenSSH'
but it does not work. It installs but perl complains when using it.

Is it better to use CPAN instead of yum? For those doing a good deal
of perl scripting what are you using to manage libraries? Any
pointers would be great.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Les Mikesell

> Having troubles with perl libraries. Does everyone use yum to install
> perl modules on CentOS 5.x? I have installed the rpmforge repository.
> I am having terrible luck with installing libraries though. Needed
> Mechanize for one script but had all sorts of conflicts. Ended up
> installing mechanize manually from rpm and adding it to yum exclude.
> Right now I am trying to get Net::SSH::Perl installed and run this
> script:
>
> http://www.perlhowto.com/execute_commands_on_remote_machines_using_ssh
>
> Would think it would be as simple as 'yum install perl-Net-OpenSSH'
> but it does not work. It installs but perl complains when using it.

Is Net::OpenSSH really the same thing as this expects?

> Is it better to use CPAN instead of yum? For those doing a good deal
> of perl scripting what are you using to manage libraries? Any
> pointers would be great.

Generally you shouldn't have yum/rpm conflicts unless you have installed
packages from more than one 3rd party repository. If you mix them you
probably will. Installing from CPAN won't satisfy rpm dependencies for
other packages and may overwrite things the packages installed.

But, is the real reason you want this package so it will supply a password
to ssh? If so, a better approach is to set up ssh keys so you don't need
the password in the first place.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Rob Kampen

On 02/11/2012 09:04 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Having troubles with perl libraries. Does everyone use yum to install
>> perl modules on CentOS 5.x? I have installed the rpmforge repository.
>> I am having terrible luck with installing libraries though. Needed
>> Mechanize for one script but had all sorts of conflicts. Ended up
>> installing mechanize manually from rpm and adding it to yum exclude.
>> Right now I am trying to get Net::SSH::Perl installed and run this
>> script:
>>
>> http://www.perlhowto.com/execute_commands_on_remote_machines_using_ssh
>>
>> Would think it would be as simple as 'yum install perl-Net-OpenSSH'
>> but it does not work. It installs but perl complains when using it.
>>
> Is Net::OpenSSH really the same thing as this expects?
>

>> Is it better to use CPAN instead of yum? For those doing a good deal
>> of perl scripting what are you using to manage libraries? Any
>> pointers would be great.
>>
> Generally you shouldn't have yum/rpm conflicts unless you have installed
> packages from more than one 3rd party repository. If you mix them you
> probably will. Installing from CPAN won't satisfy rpm dependencies for
> other packages and may overwrite things the packages installed.
>
> But, is the real reason you want this package so it will supply a password
> to ssh? If so, a better approach is to set up ssh keys so you don't need
> the password in the first place.

I am trying to install some perl libs and find the ones from CentOS
mirrors are correctly loading the x86_64 versions, but the rpmforge ones
are only i386 or i686 ones - any reason why??

Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Rob Kampen wrote:
> I am trying to install some perl libs and find the ones from CentOS
> mirrors are correctly loading the x86_64 versions, but the rpmforge ones
> are only i386 or i686 ones - any reason why??

did you check the rpmforge.repo configuration?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Rob Kampen

On 02/12/2012 10:15 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:
>> I am trying to install some perl libs and find the ones from CentOS
>> mirrors are correctly loading the x86_64 versions, but the rpmforge ones
>> are only i386 or i686 ones - any reason why??
> did you check the rpmforge.repo configuration?
yeah, seems identical to another x86_64 server that is working just fine.
The server with the problem is a rebuild and used to be a i386.
Thus there is history on the system that is i386 - but the OS, rpm, yum,
apache, php etc are all x86_64 and as mentioned, there is no problem
pulling files from the CentOS repos - I did need to change
/etc/rpm/platform to get these working and wondered if rpmforge has a
similar place it goes to, to determine the arch??

Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Rob Kampen

On 02/12/2012 12:43 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 10:15 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>> Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> I am trying to install some perl libs and find the ones from CentOS
>>> mirrors are correctly loading the x86_64 versions, but the rpmforge ones
>>> are only i386 or i686 ones - any reason why??
>> did you check the rpmforge.repo configuration?
> yeah, seems identical to another x86_64 server that is working just fine.
> The server with the problem is a rebuild and used to be a i386.
> Thus there is history on the system that is i386 - but the OS, rpm, yum,
> apache, php etc are all x86_64 and as mentioned, there is no problem
> pulling files from the CentOS repos - I did need to change
> /etc/rpm/platform to get these working and wondered if rpmforge has a
> similar place it goes to, to determine the arch??
Okay - it seems the centos mirrorlist repos use $basearch which comes
from the /etc/rpm/platform file and rpmforge uses $arch which comes from??

Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/12/2012 12:52 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:43 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> did you check the rpmforge.repo configuration?
>> yeah, seems identical to another x86_64 server that is working just fine.
>> The server with the problem is a rebuild and used to be a i386.
>> Thus there is history on the system that is i386 - but the OS, rpm, yum,
>> apache, php etc are all x86_64 and as mentioned, there is no problem
>> pulling files from the CentOS repos - I did need to change
>> /etc/rpm/platform to get these working and wondered if rpmforge has a
>> similar place it goes to, to determine the arch??
> Okay - it seems the centos mirrorlist repos use $basearch which comes
> from the /etc/rpm/platform file and rpmforge uses $arch which comes from??

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19701/yum-how-can-i-view-variables-like-releasever-basearch-yum0:

$arch This will be replaced with your architecture as listed by
os.uname()[4] in Python.

$basearch This will be replaced with your base architecture in yum. For
example, if your $arch is i686 your $basearch will be i386.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Using_Yum_Variables.html

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:43 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> did you check the rpmforge.repo configuration?
>> yeah, seems identical to another x86_64 server that is working just fine.
>> The server with the problem is a rebuild and used to be a i386.
>> Thus there is history on the system that is i386 - but the OS, rpm, yum,
>> apache, php etc are all x86_64 and as mentioned, there is no problem
>> pulling files from the CentOS repos - I did need to change
>> /etc/rpm/platform to get these working and wondered if rpmforge has a
>> similar place it goes to, to determine the arch??
> Okay - it seems the centos mirrorlist repos use $basearch which comes
> from the /etc/rpm/platform file and rpmforge uses $arch which comes from??

I have $basearch for rpmforge.repo as well, both on C5 and C6.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Rob Kampen

On 02/12/2012 01:05 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:52 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> yeah, seems identical to another x86_64 server that is working just fine.
>>> The server with the problem is a rebuild and used to be a i386.
>>> Thus there is history on the system that is i386 - but the OS, rpm, yum,
>>> apache, php etc are all x86_64 and as mentioned, there is no problem
>>> pulling files from the CentOS repos - I did need to change
>>> /etc/rpm/platform to get these working and wondered if rpmforge has a
>>> similar place it goes to, to determine the arch??
>> Okay - it seems the centos mirrorlist repos use $basearch which comes
>> from the /etc/rpm/platform file and rpmforge uses $arch which comes from??
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19701/yum-how-can-i-view-variables-like-releasever-basearch-yum0:
>
> $arch This will be replaced with your architecture as listed by
> os.uname()[4] in Python.
>
> $basearch This will be replaced with your base architecture in yum. For
> example, if your $arch is i686 your $basearch will be i386.
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Using_Yum_Variables.html

Checked these out already.
On the server that works the following
python -c 'import yum, pprint; yb = yum.YumBase();
pprint.pprint(yb.conf.yumvar, width=1)'

gives:
{'arch': 'ia32e',
'basearch': 'x86_64',
'releasever': '5',
'uuid': 'caeb5748-6334-46bf-bb26-34023a4af23c
'}

while on the one that is not working:
{'arch': 'x86_64',
'basearch': 'x86_64',
'releasever': '5'}

thus this is probably why my rpmforge repo file which has :
mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge
and thus gets
http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
back from the url - note $ARCH.

Thus my question is what provides the $arch and where is it set? - I can
find out what it is returning, but not why.
As mentioned, I had to alter /etc/rpm/platform manually to get rpm and
yum working correctly post upgrade from i386 to x86_64.

There must be some other file. Note uname -a give the same result on
both machines.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 01:05 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>> Okay - it seems the centos mirrorlist repos use $basearch which comes
>>> from the /etc/rpm/platform file and rpmforge uses $arch which comes from??
>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19701/yum-how-can-i-view-variables-like-releasever-basearch-yum0:
>>
>> $arch This will be replaced with your architecture as listed by
>> os.uname()[4] in Python.
>>
>> $basearch This will be replaced with your base architecture in yum. For
>> example, if your $arch is i686 your $basearch will be i386.
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Using_Yum_Variables.html
>>
> Checked these out already.
> On the server that works the following
> python -c 'import yum, pprint; yb = yum.YumBase();
> pprint.pprint(yb.conf.yumvar, width=1)'
>
> gives:
> {'arch': 'ia32e',
> 'basearch': 'x86_64',
> 'releasever': '5',
> 'uuid': 'caeb5748-6334-46bf-bb26-34023a4af23c
'}

> while on the one that is not working:
> {'arch': 'x86_64',
> 'basearch': 'x86_64',
> 'releasever': '5'}
>
> thus this is probably why my rpmforge repo file which has :
> mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge
> and thus gets
> http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
> http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
> http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
> back from the url - note $ARCH.
>
> Thus my question is what provides the $arch and where is it set? - I can
> find out what it is returning, but not why.
> As mentioned, I had to alter /etc/rpm/platform manually to get rpm and
> yum working correctly post upgrade from i386 to x86_64.
>
> There must be some other file. Note uname -a give the same result on
> both machines.

you're right, I had missed the mirrorlist entry in rpmforge.repo

I don't know where that $ARCH is coming from.

/etc/rpm/platform should have
ia32e-redhat-linux

is this what you set it to?

If you can't find the solution you could always hardcode x86_64 in
/etc/yum.repos.d/mirrors-rpmforge and make mirrorlist point to that.